This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Grapeyard Ridge & Baskings Creek (10.3 miles)

The hike was Grapeyard Ridge and Baskins Creek trails (10+ miles). It was unique in that prior to going on any Wed. hike I was with 4 others doing trail work on all of Baskins Creek (3 of us started from West) and first part of Grapeyard Ridge (3 of us starting from East until we met the 2 starting from the West). The hike today was unique from the organizational aspect. Blount Co. hikers met as usual at Food Lion; Knoxville hikers met at a Cracker Barrel in East Knoxville. Initially 5 of us were in my car ready to go when a newcomer pulled up; we switched to Amy's van since she could take 6. We drove to the Gatlinburg Visitor Center. Knoxville hikers would start at Baskins Creek (~start of Roaring Forks Motor Trail); Blount Co. and Gatlinburg hikers would start at Grapeyard Ridge (Greenbrier area). A key swap was made and 3 vehicles went to each trail head. (Although some of our hikers realized it, we had the harder hike for ours started at a low elevation and ended at a relatively high one.) Our group of 10 included Debbie Way & her son, BZ & Bob from Gatlinburg/Sevierville, and Amy, Janetta, Paula, TJ, and Ellie.

Grapeyard Ridge was not too difficult; however, some stream crossings were a challenge because of our recent rains. Baskins Creek had healthy climbs. On the latter one member of our group went a little slow going uphill; I would wait, then put it in high gear when I saw him and before he saw me. Never hiked with him before but I was concerned even though he has hiked much more than I have. Close to the end of the hike I told BZ that I was thinking of doing Laurel Falls and Cove Mountain solo; when Ellie and Debbie heard this they suggested that this be the group hike next Wed. It is neat how those who have hiked all 900 miles try to help people like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home