This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Post 900 Hike #31: Thomas Divide & Indian Creek


Arrived at Cecil Rowe’s house ~06:50. Because it would be just the two of us, we set out in his pick-up for SVC where we were to meet BZ Lane; we would then take BZ’s Jeep wagon and Bob Bolinger would drive it to Deep Creek after dropping us off at the Thomas Divide trailhead. Bob in turn would be hiking two days out of Deep Creek (staying in Bryson City one night) with Charlie, Janetta, Diane, Vickie and one other.

Bob dropped us off at the Thomas Divide trailhead on U.S. 441 ~8:30. It was ~29 degrees; my usual winter hiking attire includes a long sleeve polyester (usually a light one but my heavy one today), a light long sleeve hiking shirt, polyester vest, and year-around ball cap; I like to start out a hike “cool” since my arm activity with the poles quickly warms me up. (My winter hiking trousers have a tight knit, are almost waterproof, and have a mesh lining; with them there is absolutely no need for long johns.) However, today I also put on my light gortex coat, my Finish gloves, and my crampons.

There was a bit of ice and snow in the initial part of our hike for there is ~500 ft. altitude gain. We had covered only 1.8 miles when we reached the Kanati Fork Trail junction; the “up” and the ice slowed us and my cohorts were not using crampons. By 10:32 we had covered an additional 2.8 mi. and had reached Thomas Divide’s junction with Sunkota Ridge (SR). SR Trail in essence parallels Clingmans Dome's ridge. If you look carefully you'll see a "white" line close to its peak; this is the parking lot at Clingmans Dome. (If you would like to see what the parking lot looks like covered with snow, take a look at my xc-ski pictures in this Blog.) By 12:17 we had covered 4.9 mi. of SR and reached its junction with Martins Gap Trail that would take us to Indian Creek trail. I assume that it was in the early part of SR that I removed my crampons, outer coat, heavy gloves, and stocking cap.

We then went 4.4 mi. on Martins Gap and Indian Creek until the latter’s junction with Deep Creek Trail, leaving only 0.7 mi. to the Deep Creek parking lot where BZ’s car (driven there by Bob) was awaiting us. We arrived there at 14:56; by my calculation we had covered 14.6 miles. We then had the long drive from Deep Creek to Cherokee, then on U.S. 441 to the Park and on to Newfound Gap and the SVC. At SVC Cecil and I got in his pickup and on to Knoxville via Pigeon Forge and Sevierville; I arrived home at ~17:35.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home