This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Post 900 Hike #59: Baskins Creek (2.7) & Grapeyard Ridge (7.6)



Met John Hutsenpiller at Lakeside Market at 07:00. At Food Lion we left in John’s car and Dick Ledyard drove his van to Grapeyard Ridge’s terminus in Greenbrier. Dick left his van there and we proceeded in John’s car to the start of our hike on Baskins Creek Trail in Cherokee Orchard; it was there we met up with Leslie Toney, Emma Penson, and Vicki Watkins.

We embarked on Baskins Creek Trail (2.7 mi.) ~09:15. This is a nice and fairly easy trail; believe we finished it in ~one hour. On Grapeyard Ridge Trail I went a little ahead; at 11:40 I stopped and started my lunch because I was unsure when the rest wanted to do so. After they arrived they advised me that eating at Campsite 32 was the plan; that was fine with me and I packed up my half eaten lunch and fell in behind them. From left to right in the lunch are Emma, John, Dick, Leslie, and Vicki.

After lunch Leslie and I led our group on this relatively nice trail. We forgot about looking for the steam engine that overturned in the 1920’s after a logging operation; Injun Creek was named after it. Fortunately, Dick captured the picture of it.

Leslie and I completed our hike at 13:45; the rest of our group came in shortly. (My new Omron pedometer registered ~1 mi. less than the map mileage; because it was an easy hike the possibility exists that I over-strided a bit.) We then proceeded in Dick’s van to our starting point where Leslie’s and John’s cars had been left. I arrived home ~14:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home