This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Post-900 Hike #11 (Anthony Creek, Russell Field, & AT to Fontana Dam)




Barbara Slover picked me up at Food Lion a little before 7:00; we arrived at the Walland Post Office by 7:00 and there met Bob and Martha Frink and Treena Paulus (this was Treena’s 1st hike with our Wed. group; she recently joined the UT faculty and I had met her at a common friend’s place). Bob drove us in Barbara’s van to Cades Cove to the Anthony Creek trail head; I estimated that we should finish at least by 5:00 where AT’s park section segment ends near the Fontana Dam. This was a hike that Barbara needed for her 900; Martha is working on her 2nd map and Treena at this point just likes to hike.

At 7:40 the four of us set out on Anthony Creek; this trail has ~500’ gain in its 1.6 mi. segment and then intersects with Russell Field. Had a chance to talk with Treena; we finished this segment at 8:12.

The Russell Field segment is 3.5 mi.; it is a little tougher for it has ~1800’ gain. The picture is of Treena standing by rhododendrons. This segment took 1 hr. 23 min.

The section of Russell Field to Doe Knob is 6.4 mi.; it’s a little up and down but not too hard. We set out on this section at 10:30; I completed the 3.3 mi. section to Mollies Ridge at 11:45. We ate lunch there. Met a couple of through hikers; the park is so dry that they got their water from in essence a mud puddle (that’s where filters have it all over tablets). I completed the remaining 3.1 mi. to Doe Knob in 1 hr. 03 min.

The segment from Doe Knob to Lost Cove (Gregory Bald also intersects there) is 3.1 mi. and although mostly down, it had a few ups. I completed this section in 1 hr. 02 min. While waiting here several through hikers (two singles and a group of 4) reached this junction. The second single hiker was concerned about water; Treena gave him some since trail water sources were very poor. The next four were from Raleigh and had left one vehicle at Davenport Gap; although they got a late start they knew about the water shortage and were prepared.

The last segment is 3.7 mi. and takes us to Fontana Rd. Although it is most down (~1800’), the first part of it has a bit of up. Treena had not been to the Shuckstack fire tower so she and I took a sojourn there; I think that I took the picture from the 4th or 5th landing of the 6-7 landing tower (with slight thunder and potential lightning, I decided that I had gone high enough). I neglected to look at my pedometer or the time for this trip; going in and out on it probably added 0.4-0.5 mi. Shortly after I passed Barbara and Martha, it started to rain; Martha was close and she pulled emergency rain parka over my pack. The rain did not last too long and then my plastic parka began roasting me. I finished this 3.7 mi. segment (plus the side trip) in 1 hr. 24 min. Bob Frink was waiting and I iced my knee and had a Mellow Yellow; the latter really hit the spot.

Just prior to embarking Martha noted some blackberries next to the road; although I had only one, it was really good. We then proceeded to a picnic area; Bob provided barbecue sandwiches, chips, and root beer floats. Then it was the dragon and Foothills Parkway; Bob, Martha, and Treena got in their vehicles at Walland; Barbara and I proceeded to my CRV at Food Lion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home