This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

X-C Ski Interlude 3-03-2009

Last evening I learned that U.S. 441 was open and drove there this a.m. The temperature when I left my vehicle on skis at 1010 hours was 17F. Although the snow was not deep, it was virgin snow (i.e., usually there have been at least backpacker tracks, only the sun and wind on the switchbacks--see pic #1, and a few animal tracks were the only markings). It was then and there that I decided that I would ski the 7 miles to the top. (I did not tell my wife that I might do so; she does not think that 74-yr. old should go to the top alone).

Some of my hiking friends know that I really pound my sticks on ups; I wished I had used my hiking sticks rather than ski poles today since the latter have no cushioning (my shoulders & arms really felt it when I had to ski on the road with only a few inches of cover). I shed my Gortex and stocking cap within the first hour; that left a heavy long sleeve T, vest, plus a ball cap.

Although when I last made it to the top 3/03/05 I paid no attention to hiking trailheads, now I do (e.g., Road Prong, Fork Ridge & Sugarland Mtn, and Noland Creek). About a half mile past Fork Ridge there is ~1 mi. of down on the way up; it's nice on way up but really comes back to bite you on the way down. It was shortly after the down part that my waxless-skis were really picking up a lot a snow; however, I pushed and reached the far end of Clingmans Dome parking lot at 1310 (i.e., 3 hours from my car). Usually there is an eerie feeling when one reaches the parking lot because I have always been alone; however, today two AT backpackers were on the their way down on the opposite side (no snow there--see pic #4 & planned to walk road to Newfound Gap). The last time I soloed to the top was 3/03/05 (prior to my ever starting hiking); snow conditions were beautiful then (I never saw Clingmans Dome so barren with respect to snow). (For the 2005 trip I recorded that it took me 4-hours; I really thought that I had to work harder today because of the amount of snow sticking to my skis--possibly I erred on my hour count in 2005--could I be in better condition now than I was at age 70?)

I noted that the signage has been changed since 2005 (see pics # 2 & 3--I do not pay much attention to this in hiking); my screen saver on my office computer has always been either the former Dome sign in front of the big rock or the 7-mile down sign (pic #5). My only prior recorded pictures at the top were taken in the 2003-2005 era after acquisition of a digital camera. Besides eating and trying to get more pictures (not too successful re quality), I left the parking lot at ~1340 with my Gortex coat on again--my sweating and the wind encouraged it) and pic #5 was my first on way down. The "icicle wall" was the only other pic taken on way down; although kind of neat, it pales with the one that I took in 2005.

Although going down started out being easier, immediately I was picking up snow and ice on my skis; quite a disappointment for except for the one mile previously mentioned, going down has not been very laborious. I removed my skis at least three times to rid them of snow and ice; going down was much harder work than was experienced on my previous trips to the top (my first skiing in Park was in 1979--do not recall number of times that I made it too the top but it was always alone). Shortly after I went by Indian Gap, my right boot lost its sole. I tried to jury rig it but to no avail; I ended up walking the last 1-2 miles. Besides a wet foot, the walking at least added 30 min. and I did not reach my Highlander until 1630. After drying off one foot and putting on a dry sock and other shoes, I chipped ice off my skis. I arrived home ~1800.

Although my best ski pictures ever were taken ironically exactly four years ago (3-03-05--my first blog entry); when I started hiking in June 2005, hikes became the predominant entries. Prior to next year and the acquisition of new equipment, I hope to recruit more skiers. I believe Margaret Stevenson made her last hike to LeConte when she was at least 80; I would like to sort of match her by getting to the Dome on X-C skis after reaching 80 (~6 yrs. from now).






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home