This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

X-C Ski Interlude 12-23-09

This past weekend the GSMNP received quite a bit of snow. At Newfound Gap the depth was 20” and at LeConte it was more than 30”. Although no one reports from Clingmans Dome, the highest peak in the GSMNP, we assumed it was close to that received at LeConte since their elevations are comparable.

Because X-C skiing typically takes precedence for me since one should use the snow when it is there, on Monday instead of running on campus I went to the Park; although I knew that U.S. 441 was closed when I left my house, I assumed that if the road did not open, I could find somewhere else to ski. To make a long story short, U.S. 441 never opened and my forays at finding ski-able snow at lower elevations failed. I then decided to go on Tuesday after I heard that U.S. 441 opened; however, it did not open until afternoon and driving to the Park then was not feasible. (Because of black ice, U.S. 441 closed later on Tuesday afternoon too.) Although I had planned to hike to LeConte on Wed. with Bob Bolinger to repeat our “ice hike” of a couple of years ago, he agreed to postpone it a week in order that I might give X-S one more try today. (Ice is usually present on this hike; however, when it snows one must make use of it. I am wanting to get more X-C ski pictures and snow-ice pictures for my presentation at Wilderness Wildlife Week on 1-11-09.)

Doug and I decided to delay until 09:00 our departure to increase the possibility that U.S. 441 would be open when we got to it. I picked him up at Food Lion at 09:00; although our Wed. hiking group was there, we alone set out to ski. When we arrived at U.S. 441 ~10:10, somewhat to my surprise it was open and we proceeded to Newfound Gap. When we arrived at the barricaded road to Clingmans Dome ~10:40, no one else had parked there yet. In our first couple of hundred yards of the road we saw remnants of the activity there on Tues. afternoon; there were even some X-C ski tracks but these ended prior to Indian Gap. (Doug is standing by its placard; this ~1.5 mi. from our start.)



The next two pictures, although not great, give a little idea of the scenery (including our ski tracks).





My new skis were working fine; unfortunately Doug found that his older skis were experiencing a similar fate as my old ones did on 03/05/09 (i.e., not gliding very well). Because Doug was going to the Vol BB game, our goal was to reach Fork Ridge trailhead before we turned around. The snow was deep (probably the deepest that I had ever encountered on Clingmans Dome Road) and since we were breaking trail, our velocity was not that great. I suggested that after reaching the next big R-curve that we should have a snack and turn around even if we had not reached Fork Ridge trailhead. On the way down I did quite a bit of gliding; however, Doug really had to work much harder than I.

We reached my SUV ~14:20; by this time there were ~6 vehicles parked there. The trip back was fairly uneventful; unfortunately the snow hanging on trees over U.S. 441 on our trip up was not there on our trip down. Some day I'll learn to take the picture when you have it.