This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Post 900 Hike #85: Middle Prong plus Indian Flat Falls

It was raining today and hikes were canceled or quite iffy. On my way to our meet-up at Food Lion I learned via phone that the 2nd Mt. Cammerer Hike was canceled due to rain; I wanted to ensure that those who might be waiting there knew of this. Two cars were there but only the occupants of one (Ann Phillips & BJ Perlack) wanted to hike; I decided to join them. BJ drove; I think that Chestnut Top was first mentioned and then Middle Prong. Ann favored Middle Prong; it did not matter to me. We were on the trail ~09:00.

This trail is on what was a track bed for a logging train in the first part of the 20th century; for the most part it is fairly wide although I do not know how far the track extended in its logging days. The rushing stream that is adjacent to it is augmented by several streams and presents a couple of small waterfalls. My cohorts described an off-trail waterfall (Indian Flat Falls)~2.5 mi. from our start; I had never hiked to the falls (nor even heard of them) for it is not on our trail map nor is it required to attain certification for The 900-Miler Association. Perhaps the reason for this "secrecy" is that one should have a good concern for safety before going off trail to see the falls.

The picture is of BJ and Ann in front of the the falls; the other pictures that I took in the rain were as clear as this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home