This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

AT section, Welch Ridge, Jonas Creek, Forney Creek, Lakeshore (16.8 miles)




Hike 9-14

Three to four groups made hikes of varying distances beginning at Clingmans Dome and ending at the Road to Nowhere; when everyone arrived at terminus, I realized that there were but 10 individuals to share the bus expense back to the Dome.

Mike Miller and Barbara got a very early start; I met BZ Lane at Sugarlands at 7:30; he and I left the Dome at 8:15. We started going West on the AT ~4 mi., then on Welch Ridge for 2.4, Jonas Creek for 4.1, Forney Creek for 4.0, and Lakeshore for ~2. We had a number of stream crossings; BZ and I just rock hopped (I have yet to use my new water shoes in stream crossings). In one of the latter stream crossings BZ (who was leading) evidently stirred up some yellow jackets and they really got me; almost symmetrical on back of hand between 1st and 2nd digits—also hit were each calf but not as symmetrical. We ran and then I took Benadryl; at the next stream crossing I took my shoes off and got my calves in the water; I had to hyperflex to get the hands in so they did not get as much. My hands swelled quite a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home