This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Cooper Road (5.5), Hatcher Mtn (2.6), Li'l Bot/Hannah Mtn (1.9), Rabbit Creek (5.1), Wet Bottoms (1.0)



Started on Cooper Rd. at 8:55; finished 5.5 mi. at 10:50 (pedometer registered only 5.2). Finished Hatcher Mtn. at 11:50; thus pace was ~2.8 mph. These trails were relatively easy (not sure if pulse exceeded 120 bpm); I obviously stride out more when alone and/or am on trails of this ilk. (Another factor for relatively good pace is that I walk/jog my pup a minimum of 1 mi./day, jog at UT 2X/wk, lift weights 2-3 times/wk, and hiking 1-2 times/week; because of this regimen I believe that this almost 72 year old is in better shape now than I have been for years.) However, my good pace was about to be history.

When I had done Abrams Falls with Betty Jones months ago, I noted a challenging stream crossing. After lunch I donned my water shoes and started across I realized that my zip-locked keys and wallet might be vulnerable; after putting them in my pack I then realized that my camera was also vulnerable (may have been too late). I finally made it across; however, when I reached the rocks on the other side I fell down (not in the water but on rocks). This water crossing was the toughest that I have ever done.

Did Hannah Mtn until I reached Rabbit Creek. Rabbit Creek was mentally and/or physically tiring. At the end of Rabbit Creek, after again putting on my water shoes and wading across, I finally saw people. I then went for Wet Bottoms; unfortunately I made a 1.0 mile hike ~a 2 mi. hike. Eventually arrived at my car on the Cades Cove Loop and began icing my knee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

8/16/2006 12:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home