This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Trilliium Gap to LeConte 8.8 mi. new, 6.5 repeat


My map indicates that I had done 2.3 mi. of the first part of the Trillium Gap 8.8 mi. hike previously; in the total picture that matters little. We returned on Rainbow Falls (6.5 mi. from LeConte--a trail that I had completed three times previously (2 up and one down)--all in snow.

I picked up John Kennerly at the Atlanta Bread Co.; we then picked up Karen at Food Lion and Martha Frink in Walland; Charles joined us at the trail head.

The trip up presented nothing remarkable. (The picture shows three of our group going under Grotto Falls on Trillium Gap Trail following other hikers who were in the vicinity; unfortunately I had a battery problem which precluded showing other pictures.) I led in the last segment; my objective was to get to the top as fast as I could. Three of us started eating at the Lodge and two more of our five were there shortly.

Rainbow Falls, a trail that I had hiked previously in the snow, presented nothing unique. I believe that I liked the snow trips better.

It was a long day; I did not arrive home until ~7:00 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home