This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Palmer Creek--4.9, Balsam Mtn--2.3, Mt. Sterling Ridge--7.4, Mt. Sterling--1.8, Mt Sterling Gap--0.5


This is a hike that Lowell Reid did the groundwork and I assisted. Somewhat to our surprise we ended up with 13 hikers; we had originally planned for 10. Met at Food Lion at 7:00 and then picked up Bob B. and BZ at SVC. (In retrospect we realized that taking I-40 most of the way would be better and Bob & BZ could have met us at Exit 451.) Three cars then drove ~70 mi. to Mt. Sterling Gap. At this juncture I locked mine and while 8 commenced the hike here, BZ, John, Pam, Judy and I went in their two cars ~8 mi. down the road where the five of us would commence our hike and the others would finish.

Although we had more elevation gain on our hike, much of it was easy. I went ahead after our late lunch on Mt Sterling Ridge trail so that I could ice my knee; the last 1.4 mi of latter trail got a little tiring for it was a bit up. (On this stretch I took the picture showing Pisgah National Forest.) Although Mt Sterling trail was mostly down, ~75% was very rocky and not too much fun; the final section of it and the 0.5 mi section of Mt Sterling Gap trail were easy. (All trail miles today were new for me--no repeats.)

When I arrived at my car (7 hrs 15 min after starting) Anne, Betty S. and BJ were getting into their two vehicles; they had taken a totally different hike than our group of 13. At this juncture a Park Ranger (police-type) drove up and we talked for a bit; he actually held my back door so it would not close as I iced my knee. He told me that where we started our hike was where elk were very prevalent just before sunset. He waited until my 4 co-hikers returned to my car; in our discussion it became apparent that he was concerned about a group that was back packing, and who had possibly done something inappropriate.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

8/13/2006 4:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home