This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Snake Den Ridge--5.3 pd, AT to Balsam Mtn--3.7 n, return--9 pd (18 mi total)




The hike was out of Cosby and I drove; I picked up my passengers (Judy Collins, John Kennerly, Cecil Rowe, and Glen Howard) at Cracker Barrell). (On the trail Pam and Connie joined us; they were backpacking to Tricorner.)

Our first trail was Snake Den Ridge. I had hiked it previously going down hill; this was uphill and it has ~4,000 ft. gain in its 5.3 miles. I pretty much went along with the group for the first part. When the one I was talking to dropped back, I decided to push a little for I need cardiovascular training for a road race in Iowa in a couple of weeks. I arrived at its terminus (junction with the AT) in 2 hr. 18 min. I had a yogurt there and waited for the rest.

The AT to Balsam Mtn trail (our terminus) is up and down and 3.7 miles in length. I eventually went ahead and arrived at Balsam Mtn trail in 1 hr. 24 min.; I then ate lunch and waited for I wanted to catch Judy reaching this trail; this would mark the completion of her 900 miles. (Ellie Doughty started late and joined us there just as I was leaving.) The other picture was taken from the AT looking at Pisgah National Forest.

I then set out alone back 3.7 mi. to the Snake Den Ridge trail; it took me 1 hr. & 21 min. but looked a moment at the remaining wreckage of an airplane that did not make it over the ridge. Glen and Amy (she had hiked with Ellie) were there. After I described the airplane wreck site, Glen went to explore it and Amy waited for him. The 5.3 mi. return trip took me 1 hr. & 42 min. Shortly prior to reaching Cosby Campground I caught up with Bob Hutchins, Bill Woodrick, and Dale Teague; they had done a short in-and-out and were there only to help Judy celebrate her completion of the 900 miles of trails.

When Judy et al. arrived, we had a small party in Judy’s honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home