This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Hazel Creek--~1.0 n, Cold Spring Gap--3.5 pd, Welch Ridge (& High Rocks)--1.8 n, Bear Creek 5.9n, Lakeshore--1.4 n & 1.9 pd (15.5 mi.)

Granola and blue berries did not taste that great two days in a row. We proceeded S. on Hazel Creek to its junction with Cold Spring Gap (that 8.1 mi. finished Hazel Creek for me). About 0.5 mi. in to Cold Spring Gap we donned our water shoes and waded across Hazel Creek. We then had 3 mi. of Cold Spring Gap up; I told Dennis if we were lucky we would get there by 11:30 but it would probably be closer to 12:00. I decided to get it over with and arrived at the junction of Welch Ridge at 11:38. Prior to today Cold Spring Gap going down (mostly westerly) was my least favorite trail; I must say that although there was a 2,000 ft. elevation gain going up, it was no more difficult. This trail has sections in which you continually are stepping on rock; to me stepping up on rock is easier than stepping down on it (latter requires eccentric contraction of leg extensors also—my R-knee does not like negative work).

I ate lunch and when the others arrived we proceeded up Welch Ridge 0.9 mi. (PD). About half way there I took the 0.4 jaunt to High Rocks; this trail’s overgrowth really bloodied up my hands (plus a little on the arms & legs); I decided that in the future I would carry my old weight lifting gloves in my bag to protect the backs of my hands should I encounter similar trails.

At the junction of Bear Creek trail I met Dennis and Joel and we proceeded down latter to its terminus (5.9 mi.); this was a fairly easy trail. We then did a 2.9 mi. section of Lakeshore that was mostly up; although I had done this one a couple of times previously, with a 30+ lb. pack at the end of the day made it a little tiring. Extremely glad to see the tunnel; I got home ~8:00, having survived my first backpacking trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home