This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Kanati Fork--2.9 and Kephart Prong--2.0 (both in/out, 9.8 total miles)




Had planned on having a long hike today from Cades Cove to Fontana (18.3 for some, 22.3 for a few of us); however, because of key swap logistics and hot & humid weather I cancelled it. The Kanti Fork and Kephart Prong were trails that I needed; initially Bob Bolinger and I were going to do them alone; however, by Wed. a.m. we had 8 (BZ, Dale, Janetta, Diane, Amy, & Allen).

Kanati Fork presents a 2,100 ft. climb in its 2.9 miles; BZ and I did this in 76 min.(see pic). This hike took its toll on a few; however, in going down everyone kept within a reasonable distance of each other. We then walked down U.S. 441 and ate our lunch by the bridge over the Oconauluftee River and trailhead of Kephart Prong. This is an easier trail (although rocky) and we took it more at more of a leisurely pace; a remnants of a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (in use 1933-42) and a shelter were highlights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home