This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Post 900 Hike #12: Lakeshore Trail from Fontana Dam to Campsite 86 (5.2 & 4.4 mi.) & Return (19.2 mi. total)




This is a trail that Dennis McAdams needed; it was great that 50% of today’s hike (9.6 mi.) can be counted toward his 900 Miles. I met Dennis at Foothills Parkway at 7:00; we proceeded in his car to Fontana Dam.

As we began our hike on Lakeshore Trail at 8:16 in a NE direction, we briefly greeted a young couple preparing to hike a portion of the AT going due North (that trailhead also exited this parking area—more on them later). Much of this section of Lakeshore Trail used to be a road (NC 288); and although the Park was in existence, some folks still lived in this section during World War II. We had gas rationing (I was 7-11 during this era) because of rubber shortage (S-Sea Island product in war area). Thus along this trail-road there are several car bodies; folks living there purportedly left their cars when their tires wore out. This section of the trail (to Campsite #90) had a few ups and downs, none difficult; Dennis and I completed this 5.2 mi. in 1 hr. 43 min.

The next 4.2 mi. were in more of an easterly direction, less flat, and ended at the Proctor House, a hoot and holler from the S-end of the Hazel Creek Trail. We ate lunch here. During the retracing of our steps on this section Dennis was leading; about a mile out I noted a BEAR on a rise in our trail in front of us. (This was the first bear that I had ever seen on a trail; all others were seen from a vehicle.) I quickly got my camera out of my pocket but the Bear decided not to pose. We were on the up-side of a creek bed to our left; beyond it was steep rise up a mountain and that was where the bear was scurrying. All I can say s/he was fast, strong, and agile. We completed this 4.2 mi. section in 1 hr. 49 min.

Shortly after we started an up part of our repeat of the 5.2 mi. section, Dennis asked me if I wanted to do my aerobics, since I sort of relish doing up-sections. (You'll note that he is keeping the tree from descending to the earth so that I can pass.) I took off and was getting a nice workout; after a couple of miles I heard voices. I soon caught up with the young couple we saw shortly before our respective hikes; they had completed the AT to Lost Cove, the latter to Lakeshore, and had ~3 mi. left on their 11.6 mi. loop. We started talking and they stayed with me; if I cut my velocity it was nominal. I took their picture by this car and they wanted to take mine.)They were truly a delightful couple and they helped make the remainder of the hike a breeze; I finished this 5.2 mi. section in 1 hr. 42 min. As they drove out of parking area I began icing my knee.

Dennis and I took off about 16:00; as those familiar with the dragon (a section of US 129 with numerous switchbacks) would attest, on the 4th of July one could expect to see quite a few motorcyclists. Including those at a diner, gas station, and at overlooks on the road as well cycling on the road itself, I would not be surprised if we saw a couple hundred. Dennis dropped me off at my car and then we stopped for a soda; I arrived home ~18:20 after a grocery stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home