This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Post 900 Hike #13

Bob Bolinger needed Road Prong Trail; this is one that I did in and out for a total of ~10 miles (map suggests larger figure, signage suggest 6-7 miles in and out). Janetta Baker had also agreed to go with Bob with her son Devin; I did not realize but she had previously done this trail too. I had told Bob that I could drop them off at Indian Gap and then drive to the Chimney Tops parking area and walk towards them on Road Prong; however, I thought that we should accomplish more in Bob’s behalf than just 4-5 miles. I suggested that we also do Tow String Trail out of Smokemont too; at our meeting spot at Sugarlands Visitor Center this A.M. Bob and Janetta agreed.

Bob drove to Smokemont; Tow String is a unique trail in that you walk 0.5 to 1.0 mi. prior to reaching its trailhead. This part of the trail was very wet and mushy; it was also frequented by horseback riders. When we reached the Tow String trailhead I again offered to walk back and drive Bob’s car to its terminus. Because it was only 2 miles (once we reached the trailhead), Bob thought that in and out was not too much. I went ahead and once I reached the 0.1 mi. trail sign, I suggested that we take the road back rather than re-traverse a somewhat muddy trail (i.e., particularly the first section). Our options were (1) walking over to U.S. 441 and walk the road back to Bob’s car and (2) taking the road adjacent to the creek that would lead directly to Bob’s car. (When I had done this trail, my wife Meredith and my dog Winston were waiting for me in my car near the trail’s terminus. However, when Janetta had done this trail previously they just followed the gravel road which ostensibly would lead us back to Bob’s car; it did.)

Bob then drove to Indian Gap on the Clingmans Dome Road; we ate lunch there. The three of them proceeded on Road Prong; I drove Bob’s Jeep to the Chimney Tops parking area. Although all parking spaces were full, one individual advised me that they would be pulling out shortly so I waited. After a few minutes I was on Road Prong on the way up to meet my cohorts, who would be on the way down. At the first stream crossing I encountered a host of Park Personnel who were doing research on Brook and Rainbow trout. The devices that they had shocked the trout which were in turn snagged by nets, weighed and measured, and then released. They also had a device that would measure current flow; that research was neat.

I passed a number of hikers who probably planned to go to Chimney Tops (prior to the Road Prong turn-off); although Chimney Tops is just a little over 2 miles, I doubt if many knew what lay ahead and I am certain most turned back without making it, for towards the end the trail, it gets very steep and very difficult. It is so surprising that so many “casual” hikers think that they can make it; when I volunteered at SVC I would try to warn such individuals what was in store for them.

Once I got to Road Prong I met three men who had also started at Indian Gap. Although they had heard voices behind them, I subsequently learned that Bob and Janetta allowed Devin to take a few sojourns (e.g., sliding on rocks in stream beds) on the way down. After meeting my cohorts, I chose to be the last one on the return trip to Bob’s Jeep; however, on our last major stream crossing Devin once again availed himself of the opportunity that no 12-yr. old could resist (i.e., both sliding on rocks and jumping from rock to rock in a stream). When we arrived at SVC we went on our respective ways. Because I only hiked 7-8 miles, I did not take my HR monitor; unfortunately I neglected to take my pedometer too. Thus times, paces, etc., were not recorded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home