This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Post 900 Hike #34: Goldmine Loop & Lakeshore Trails


















NOTE: Obviously a problem turning pics 90 degrees CC; will endeavor to rectify.

This particular hike had several logistical considerations; it was to begin with a boat trip to Campsite #77 followed by a 16.6 mi. hike on Lakeshore Trail to Lakeview Drive (Road to Nowhere/Tunnel). I had advised the hike organizer (Janetta) that I could take hikers to the Fontana Marina and then drive to the tunnel and hike in to meet the others; thus it did not surprise me that I was called upon to do this. Cecil Rowe (with whom I have been alternating driving for many hikes) suggested that he drive and that I in turn drive his vehicle (it could hold 7) to the tunnel after he and the rest of his load embarked on the boat.

Cecil picked up John Hutsenpiller and me at Lakeside Market (a locale close to both of our homes) at 06:15; John Kennerly was with him. We went to Central Station in Maryville and added Martha Norton and Glen Howard to our passenger list. Four vehicles then proceeded on the Dragon (U.S. 129) to the Lake Fontana Marina. Then 17 hikers went to the dock ~08:00; Ellie Doughty and I then left for the tunnel. (We thought that Bob Bolinger was going to pick up Janetta’s SUV; Bob Frink was driving the 4th but he did not take a direct route.)

Ellie and I arrived at the tunnel ~09:15 and then waited awhile in case Bob came; at 09:30 we set out on our hike. Rather than walking through the Tunnel (we would be going through it on our return), Ellie suggested that we start out on the Tunnel Bypass Trail; when we reached its junction with Goldmine Loop Trail we took the latter; this added 1.8 miles. However, we had plenty of time and it really did not matter where on Lakeshore Trail that we met the first contingent of the 17 hikers who had taken the boat. Goldmine Loop Trail is kind of a neat trail and this was only the second time that I had hiked it. I must admit that when I was working on my 1st 900 I was driven for my mission was just to complete all trails in the GSMNP quickly; thus I often missed much of the beauty. In the 1st picture Ellie is standing by a chimney that is in markedly good condition for its age. The 2nd picture is of a wild boar trap; the yellow material in it is corn bait. (Boars are not indigenous to the park and do much damage.) We also took sojourns to a couple of campsites slightly off trail; Ellie is considering the goal of staying at each campsite in the Park after she finishes the AT.

After ~4 miles on Lakeshore Trail we ate lunch (~12:20); in our first post-lunch mile we met those leading the contingent of 17; the first group included Cecil, John H., Glen, and Kim Inman. (We learned then that Bob Bolinger arrived ~15 min. after Ellie and I left the parking lot; however, he took the direct route and thus was able to be ahead of us on Lakeshore Trail.) On our trek to the tunnel I initially went ahead for an aerobic workout but only got my pulse up to 139. I waited a little while; Kim had separated herself from the others and then she and I hiked together for the last 4-5 miles. In the process we met a Park Law Enforcement Ranger (not sure of exact title)where Tunnel Bypass Trail intersected with Lakeshore Trail; she said she was just out for some exercise but she was armed and may have been on a mission too for she asked us if we had seen anyone at two campsites.

At 16:00 Kim and I had just come through the tunnel and arrived at the lot where our vehicles were parked. (The distance that Ellie and I had covered on our in and out was 12.25 mi.; those taking the boat hiked 16.6 mi.) As others of the group of 17 straggled in, we noted another Park Law Enforcement Ranger head for the tunnel; he carried two weapons.) After the vehicles of Ellie, Cecil, and Bob had their passengers, we headed back the way we came. Cecil dropped Martha and Glen off at Central Park and John and me at Lakeside Market shortly before 19:00.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home