This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Post 900 Hike #47: Big Creek, Camel Gap, Gunter Fork, Balsam Mtn, & Beech Gap




John Hutsenpiller picked me up at Lakeside Market at 06:20; we proceeded to Food Lion. I ended up riding with Richard Ryburn to Sugarlands Visitor Center (SVC) and John rode with Dick Ledyard. At SVC those of us who decided to do the purported more difficult hike starting at Big Creek Campground (i.e., Big Creek 5.1, Camel Gap 0.7, Gunter Fork 4.1, Balsam Mtn 2.9, and Beech Gap I 2.5) were John Hutsenpiller, Richard Ryburn, Dick Ledyard, and Frank March. Those that we would be doing the key swap with and going North on the same trails (in reverse order) were Bob Bolinger, Janetta Baker & her son Devon, BZ Lane, and Amy Howe.

Richard drove BZ’s van and we started out on Big Creek 09:20; Dick, John and I completed this 5.8 mi. section at 11:30. Much to our surprise we met a Doe and Fawn who were quite surprised by our presence. The fawn left before I could photo it, the doe presents one of the closest encounters that I have ever had with a deer. After we finished this section we snacked and waited for our cohorts; at 12:00 we started out on Gunter Fork (4.1 mi. and 5 stream crossings); the picture is of the cascades on Gunter Fork. We Gunter Fork at 14:14; just prior to finishing this trail we met our cohorts (BZ & Devon first, then Bob, Janetta & Amy). Although I used my water shoes for most of the trail, I really should have put my boots on sooner for only the first 3-4 crossings required water shoes. At this point we had lunch. As we waited we became a little concerned about our cohorts and I retraced our steps for 0.25 mi. They had taken a sojourn to a falls and also had had lunch.

We began the 2.9 mi. section of Balsam Mtn Trail at 15:30 and finished it at 16:30. We started the 2.5 mi. Beech Gap I Trail at 16:35 and finished it at 17:25. I iced my knee and Dick provided us with cold drinks (e.g., ice tea, soda). After Richard and Frank arrived we set out for Cherokee; here we stopped and had sandwiches prior to driving through the GSMNP from South to North on US 441. We stopped at SVC; Dick, John and I proceeded in the former’s car to the Food Lion parking lot. John dropped me off at the Lakeside Market and I arrived home ~21:00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home