This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Post 900 Hike #43: Portion of Deep Creek


Bob Bolinger called to see if I wanted to accompany him on Deep Creek Trail North to its junction with Martens Gap (Campsite 57--6 mi.); at this point we would meet his cohorts who would be coming South from its trailhead on US 441 just below Newfound Gap on the NC side; then all of us would proceed back to the vehicle. Although only 12 miles, it seemed like a good hike for me after a 3-week hiatus from hiking.*

I arrived at Sugarlands Visitor Center at ~06:40; shortly thereafter Bob, then came Charlie Hanie, then Amy Howe with Glen Howard and Richard Ryburn. Bob drove Amy’s van and dropped off Amy, Charlie, Glen, and Richard at the Deep Creek trailhead on US 441 just below Newfound Gap; Bob and I then proceeded to Bryson City NC and then on to the entrance of the GSMNP at Deep Creek (we also go through Bryson City to do tunnel hikes).

Bob and I started on Deep Creek Trail at 09:40 and reached Martins Gap at 11:51; although we were not really hustling, we covered the 6-miles at close to a 3 mph pace. Charlie and Glen had arrived moments ahead of us from US 441; Richard and Amy arrived very shortly. For the return Richard and Glen took a slightly longer trek (Martins Gap, Sunkota Ridge) but they too would finish on Deep Creek Trail. The picture of Indian Creek Falls (as it enters Deep Creek) was taken by Glen.

Forget the exact time that everyone had finished and had returned to the parking lot at Deep Creek. We then embarked on the long trip back to SVC; at this point Bob, Charlie and I went into Gatlinburg to get a sandwich as the others took off for Maryville.
------------------------------------
*My hiatus was due to a river and land cruise from Bucharest to Prague; after editing my pictures I may put some of them on this site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home