This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 900 Hike #40 Middle & Lynn Camp Prongs, Miry Ridge, Panther Creek (14.9 mi.)




Today’s hike was one that Cecil Rowe needs for his Geezer 900, John Kennerly needs for his 2nd 900, and John Hutsenpiller (relatively new) needs for his 900 (neat thing in John’s case is that any trail done to date is a new one for him). We left Cecil’s at 08:00 and arrived at the trailhead in Tremont at 09:00.

I went a little ahead and completed the first section of Middle Prong (2.3 mi.) at 09:48 and the 2nd section (1.8 mi.) at 10:25, and Lynn Camp Prong (3.7 mi.) in 87 min. The last two had nominal “ups” and I got a slight aerobic workout (max HR ~134). Then John K. and I completed Miry Ridge (2.5 mi.) in 62 min.; then we had lunch at Jakes Gap (L-R: K & H Johns, Cecil).

Shortly after starting on Panther Creek (2.3 mi.) at 13:40, Cecil suggested we that we go off trail a few feet for the view presented in 2nd pic (biggest Mtn is Thunderhead). Panther Creek is essentially a “down” trail (I do not like to speed on these). A few feet before this trail’s terminus one has to cross Panther Creek; it was an easy crossing but we had to don our water shoes to do it. After crossing I dried my feet, put on socks, and since my water shoes are quite comfortable with socks, put them back on and carried my boots on the 2.3 mi. of Middle Prong (a level old road) that we had done earlier in the morning 15:30. We arrived at Cecil’s ~16:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home