This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Post 900 Hike #65: Ace Gap (in/out, ~10.8 mi)


Our Wed. hike was cancelled because it appeared that rain would not make it very pleasant; although it cleared up at home, it is kind of hard what to predict in the GSMNP. I hate to have a week without a hike so I called John Hutenspiller and told him that I would be happy to go with him on short hike such as Ace Gap in and out off Rich Mountain Road. I also notified Dick Ledyard to see if he was interested.

John came to my home at ~0855 and I then picked up Richard at a Fort Sanders Clinic on Topside Road; we then went to the Rich Mountain entrance to the Park so we could do Ace Gap Trail. (Dick's picture shows me at the trailhead with my Highlander in the background just off Rich Mountain Rd; although we preceded South until we reached this point, from this point in the GSMNP it is only one-way North). The exact distance of this hike is somewhat of an enigma; the Brown Book lists it as 5.4 mi. while the map and relatively recent trail signs indicate it is 5.6 mi. As one makes the hike one notices that parts of the trail have obviously changed as signs indicate which trail to take; the reason for this signage is that parts of Ace Gap Trail used to be on private land and that had to be corrected. However, those changes should have been incorporated at least in the 2008 Great Smoky Mountain Trail Map that I have.

At 09:57 we embarked; Ace Gap is a relatively easy trail with little in the way of ups or downs. About half way through I decided to speed up a bit; I completed the 5.4 (or 5.6) miles at 11:47. However, my pedometer only registered 3.49 miles for the hike; because the hike was quite easy, I probably took bigger strides than I usually take. John & Dick are standing by the sign indicating we had reached Beard Cane junction & end of Ace Gap Trail.

After a brief respite (we snacked rather than eat a lunch per se), at 12:05 we left. Because Dick had forgotten his knee brace, it was wise for him not to attempt to break any records; John said that he would hike with Dick freeing me to push it a little. We left at 12:05. The second picture was one of the few times that peaks were visible; I am guessing it is either Thunderhead or Rocky Top. The trail is somewhat unique in that one can see 2-3 very nice homes on private property since Ace Gap Trail is at the edge of the park. I reached my vehicle at 13:48; my speed for the 5.4 (or 5.6) mi. this time was 3.14 (or 3.26 mph). Because my pedometer only registered 6.96 mi., I determined that each stride was ~0.1 foot longer than the 2.5 set on my pedometer (i.e., stride length was 2.61 instead of 2.5 ft).