This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Post 900 Hike #80: Sugarland Mtn. Trail (12 mi.)

The hike for today was Sugarlands Mountain. John Hutsenpiller, Richard Ryburn, and Joan Tomlinson rode with me from Food Lion; we picked up Jerry Roddy in Townsend. We then proceeded to Fighting Creek on Little River Road. John H., Joan, John Kendrick, Cecil Rowe, BZ Lane, and I proceeded North on the 12 mi. Sugarland Mountain Trail. The other hikers (Richard Ryburn, Jerry Roddy, Teresa Wu, Ann Phillips, BJ Perlack and her daughter) proceeded to the Northern end of Sugarlands Mtn trailhead, just across Clingmans Dome Road from Fork Ridge Trailhead; they would meet us on the trail where car keys would be exchanged.

We Northern-bound hikers proceeded on the first section of Sugarlands trail at 0905; a couple of us completed this 3.1 mi. section at 1012. We started on the 4.1 mi. section at 1024; Joan, in training for a marathon trail run competition, led initially. After a few minutes I left the rest of our group and joined her; this trail section had ~1,300 ft. gain. I passed Joan intending to be her rabbit; however, in a short time I realized that I was getting my pulse over 150 (~3 X’s my resting HR) and was feeling quite strong, so I decided to push it. I got my HR to 156 and finished the 4.1 mi. in 1 hr. 24 min. At this point I started eating my lunch; Joan arrived next and then the rest. I took this picture while the rest were eating; that's Joan, BZ, John H., Cecil, and John K.



Shortly thereafter those starting at the North-end of this trail arrived; they went South and we left on the last section (4.8 mi., 1500 ft. of gain) at 1234. I led and BZ and Joan interchanged positions; for the most part we stayed close together. This section of the trail is not particularly easy; we arrived at my vehicle at 1446 and waited for our cohorts. After they arrived Joan, John, and I left for Sugarlands Visitor Center; since my Brown Book had not been turned in, I bought a new one. We left SVC for home ~1610; we arrived at Food Lion ~1710.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home