This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Post 900 Hike #76: Clingmans Dome via AT—3.8, Welch Ridge—1.7, Hazel Creek—16.7, & boat

Got up ~0415; at 0455 I was at Cecil Rowe’s. Also embarking from that point were John Kennerly, John Hutsenpiller, and Bill Broome (talk about having a great friend along with Bill Woodrick who we momentarily picked up) would eventually move Cecil’s van and Frank March’s Highlander from Clingmans Dome (Frank, Steve Edward, & JD from Clinton had started earlier—the latter two were doing Bone Valley in addition to our hike, would meet JD for 1st time after hike on boat) to our hike’s terminus at Fontana Marina. Our next stop was SVC where we picked up two hikers; at least one other vehicle with our kindred accompanied us to the Dome.

Believe 12 of us (others were Carol Anderson, Carol Anderson, Bill Jax, Charlie Bean, Nan Nln, Richard Ryburn, Martha Frink, Martha Norton, & Mary Kay Jones) embarked from the Dome’s parking lot at 0705 up the 0.5 mi. walk to the AT. When you add the 0.5 at front end and the 0.5 to get to the boat pick-up beyond Campground 86, the hike is more than 23 miles; however, it is basically down. It was for the latter reason that I did not wear my HR-monitor; on down hikes my HR rarely gets over 100 bpm. Although this hike did burn a few calories despite the negative work, the heart takes it quite easy; on up hikes I typically lead and endeavor to get my HR to at 150 (3 X resting). (Another reason that I did not want to burn trails is that on Sunday in lifting weights I apparently pulled a little tissue in the area of the origin of my R. pectoralis minor muscle.) At most trail junctions we typically waited until everyone finished the section; moreover, really no point in going fast since we all were going to catch the same boat and there was lots of time.

The section of the AT done is innocuous. Believe it was on Welch Ridge that we had our first rain; this made some of the down on it and Hazel Creek quite slippery. Hazel Creek has ~13 bona fide stream crossings; today they were augmented by rain. I am not sure how many I rock hopped and I possibly rock-hopped more than I should have. There was one in particular that after jumping on too a large rock and then bracing myself behind it, I was able to extend a stick to the one following and assist him on the last hop which was not a long hop but was a bit of up). After ~7 stream crossings the individual leading fell into the water; it was at this point that rest of us in this contingent donned our water shoes. From there on we just sloshed across the streams; it was typically below knee level (but not for all).

Three of us (Carl Muse, Charlie Bean & me) were looking for a place to eat but did not stop until we covered the 8.1 mi. section of Hazel Creek (i.e., Cold Spring Gap’s junction with Hazel Creek at ~1330). Frank was there for he did not elect to do Bone Valley with Steve & JD (Frank had finished the 900 2-3 months ago); Cecil and Bill arrived shortly (the latter via the Cold Spring Gap trail). Besides eating lunch here we endeavored to dry our feet (next time my 2nd pair of socks will be in a zip-lock). At 1422 we set out and left a note for those following. The last 6.6 mi. of Hazel Creek is as boring as hell; it just follows an old roadbed with very few inclines. Of course at this stage of the game on a long hike, even I do not object to having any serious climbs. Shortly it was just Carl and I leading; for first time ever on a hike I collapsed my sticks and carried them in one hand (my pec was bothering me).

Remnants of the logging mill of Proctor were the most unique aspects in our last 0.5 mi. When we came to the Southernmost Hazel Creek Bridge (1650) we instead went straight; Frank was sitting on the porch of the Calhoun house and we joined him. He told us that Steve and JD chose to wait near the boat landing. Others straggled in; at ~1720 we walked the 0.5 mi. to the boat landing; fortunately it was early and we pushed off ~1745 (15 min. earlier than intended). Pictures: (1)primarily shows those passengers sitting aft and (2) almost ready to leave--Cecil is closing his back van door. Not sure when we got back to our vehicles; assume we all pulled out of the marina by 1830. Then we had the long ride back (including a bit on the dragon). Believe we arrived at Cecil’s ~2045.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home