This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Post 900 #93: Old Sugarlands and Twin Creeks +

The hike that Bob Bolinger, BZ Lane, Charlie Woodrick I were planning to take to Mt. Cammerer had to be canceled because the road leading to Cosby Campground was closed due to weather. Bob who lives in Sevierville (very close to the Park) and BZ who lives in Gatlinburg (immediately adjacent to the Park) came up with an alternate hike that included Old Sugarlands Trail (3.9), a tad on Cherokee Orchard Rd & a Manway, Twin Creeks Trail (1.9), a walk into Gatlinburg to Calhouns for lunch, a short walk through part of Gatlinburg, and then the Gatlinburg Trail (~2.0).

Charlie rode with me from Food Lion in Maryville and we met Bob and BZ at SVC at 09:00; I think temperature was ~25 degrees. Old Sugarlands Trail is rather scenic and has a bit of rise towards its conclusion. The first picture is of BZ; the second picture taken a few minutes later is of Bob and Charlie. It was still brisk and at this juncture the snow was at its deepest.




Shortly after this we were on a short segment of Cherokee Orchard Road and then by Bud Ogles 19th Century home we reached Twin Creeks Trail. After we completed this trail we walked into Gatlinburg for lunch at Calhouns. Since it was not very crowded, we were able to use one booth for packs, sticks, and extra clothes.

After a nice lunch we walked ~0.3 mi. to the trail head for the Gatlinburg Trail. The last picture is of the West Prong of Little Pigeon River; you'll note that the white "lumps" are snow intermingled with the rock.



When we arrived at our vehicles at SVC, we had walked 11+ mi. (my pedometer reading). Bob and BZ headed for their relatively close homes; Charlie and I headed for Maryville. I dropped him off in the Food Lion parking lot (he had ~25 mi. to go to his home in Vonore) and I headed for my home in Lousville; I arrived there ~16:00.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

I'm jealous. Looks like fun!

Kirk

1/07/2010 7:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1/08/2010 6:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home