This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Post 900 Hike #99: Anthony Creek--3.5, Bote Mtn--1.2, AT/Spence Field Shelter 0.3 & return

Bob Bolinger and I had planned to do the AT from Newfound Gap to The Boulevard Trail and then down to LeConte; we would then take the Alum Cave Trail out to U.S. 441(i.e., we would have left one vehicle there on way to Newfound Gap). However, we were advised against this because of deep snow conditions; although I knew we would have deep snow since I had just X-C skied out of Newfoundd Gap on the Clingmans Dome Road on 2/19, I had not given the less-traveled Boulevard Trail much thought. We then decided to do the hike presented in the title; John Kennerly, Elke Narton, Doug Jerger, and Richard Ryburn joined us.

I think that we started on our hike out of the Cades Cove campground ~09:15. Although we had icy foot logs to cross a couple of streams, there was no appreciable snow; however, since we were on a climb, snow depth progressively increased. I brought up the rear in order to facilitate my picture taking; I deemed the four presented to best represent our hike of the 40+ taken.

The first picture presents my 5 cohorts on Bote Mtn Trail. Although there was no ice to contend with, we put on our crampons. (Four of us use STABILICER Ice Cleats; because they are so effective, the two without planned to order them ASAP. For their effectiveness on extremely icy trails, see my blog of 12/30/09.)



The second picture is one of rime frost; this picture was also taken on Bote Mtn. Trail. Rime Frost results when the moisture from low clouds "hits" cold objects; the direction of the ice crystals is in the direction of the prevailing winds. It was at about this time that most of us donned our crampons; although it was not icy, they help with traction on snow as well. The depth of the snow when we had reached the shelter (elevation 4900 ft.) was 2' plus.



This is Doug on the Appalachian Trail (AAT); he was picked since his red vest stands out.



The last picture is the Spence Field Shelter off the AT where we had lunch. My five cohorts are inside where the "bunks" are; enterprising AT hikers made what is typically a room with 3 walls a 4-wall room with the addition of plastic ground cloths. Needless to say had I taken the picture from the open side, it would not have been nearly as attractive as the picture presented. The temperature "inside" was ~freezing.



We took a leisurely lunch and ~1330 started a somewhat leisurely retrace of our steps made prior to lunch. I took only one picture on the way down; I also for the first time inserted "hand warmers" in my mittens that I had purchased ~3-yrs ago. My cohorts swear by them and they worked for me too after I really "shook my hands". I plan on purchasing more prior to X-C skiing on 2/26, assuming U.S. 441 is open then.