This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, February 26, 2010

X-C Ski Sojourn: Clingmans Dome Road

U.S. 441 was closed yesterday and was also closed this morning. Nevertheless, Doug Jerger and I made a last minute decision to go X-C skiing today, for we assumed the road would be open prior to our arrival; it was. We were on our skiis at 11:35; immediately we noted that the road had been snow plowed in order that work could begin on the road as well as the facility at the Dome. This work would have started sooner had it not been for all the snow; undoubtedly this is our last ski venture on Clingmans Dome Road this season. (Normally this road is not open to vehicular traffic until April 1; this year it will probably be closed to everyone (e.g., X-C skiers, backpackers) beginning next week for the construction that will last several months. One week ago today the snow depth was over two feet when I X-C skied; today there was only ~4 inches of fresh snow after it had been plowed. However, the snow plowing was done only on what we estimated to be the first 4+ miles; after that I had to work to break trail, comparable to last week.

Primarily because Doug's waxless skis seemed to be no longer waxless (the same thing happened to me last year on 3/3/09 when my old skis seemed to lose their gliding ability), I was leading. A young man named Brian (only ~50) caught up with us; he seemed to like our pace and company, so he fell in behing me but in front of Doug. I had planned to stop at the Fork Ridge trailhead (this is directly across the road from an AT access point) to see what Doug and our new friend Brian wished to do. However, although the skiing was not particularly easy, this was one of the first times that I had ever had company this far up the mountain, thus we talked considerably and fatigue was far from my mind. When we reached the point that Clingmans Dome road actually descents 0.5-0.75 mi., I realized that we had passed the Fork Ridge trailhead; moreover, Brian advised me that he had seen the AT signage a while back. We convened and somewhat to my surprise everyone wanted to keep on going at least until 14:30. It was about then that I took this picture (Brian on the left and Doug on the right).



When we came upon the Noland Divide Trailhead (it's 5.5 mi. up the 7 mi. road--its picture was too blury), we continued on our quest. After plowing on ~0.5-1.0 mi. further, the lookout observation deck at Clingmans Dome faded in and out of the clouds; if you look to the left of the dominant tree on the right in the next picture you can see it.



Brian had never planned to go this far and planned to turn around; thus Doug and I decided that the pursuit to the top was not a good one for the time remaining in the day, paticularly when Doug's equipment problem was considered. And as previously indicated, Doug had serious equipment dysfunction (i.e., skis would not glide); it is a good thing that we turned around because subsequently on the descent both of his ski poles broke (he evidently was trying to get too much propelling from his arms to compensate for the lack of glide from his skis). Thus we sort of took it easy took in some of nature's beauty; the next picture really shows why we like to X-C ski in the GSMNP.



Brian had gone ahead and Doug and I took it leisurely. I really must correct that; our descent time was not great. However, I had a good workout (particularly in breaking trail on the way up). Brian skied further than he ever intended. Doug had a workout and a half, for with his equipment malfunction, he had to work harder than anyone.