This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Post 900 Hike #102: Chestnut Branch--2.1, AT--1.0 & 2.3 (to Mt Cammerer Trail), AT 2.3, 1.0, 1.9 (to Davenport Gap)

I organized this hike to fulfill some of the 900-mile trail needs of Theresa Yu; although I had also hoped that some of Doug Jerger's and John Hutsenpiler's needs would be met by this hike, of the latter two only John was able to go. Bob Bolinger and BZ Lane also joined us on this hike.

I picked John at Lakeside Market at 07:10, Theresa at Krogers at 07:25, Bob at McDonalds in Sevierville at 08:20, and BZ near US 321 junction with I-40 at ~09:00. We then proceeded on U.S. 40 until its last exit (i.e., due to its closure because of rock slide, Exit 451). We arrived at Deep Creek Ranger Station ~09:20.

We proceeded up Chestnut Branch and arrived at its junction with the AT at 09:25. Then it was on to two legs of the AT; all trails from the start were basically up. We met several groups of backpackers plus a few others; one group was from Kansas City and I believe were doing all of the AT within the GSMNP (i.e., 76 mi.). BZ and I led and kept a relatively good pace.

The first picture, hopefully if enlarged, will enable one to see the A/C control tower and the bald in the background (Max Patch); both are on the AT outside of the GSMNP.



Although it was my original plan to retrace our steps to my SUV, and then BZ and I would pick up the others at Davenport Gap, I realized that if I did the 1.9 mi. (last section) of the AT, I could could count it towards completion of my Geezer map (i.e., complition of the 900 mile requirements after age 75). Bob most willingly took my place to go with BZ to retrieve my SUV.

The next picture is of those who accompanied me on this hike; from left to right are John, BZ, Teresa, and Bob.



I took this picture just a few feet prior to reaching Davenport Gap; except for Chestnut Branch, it covers the guts of our hike.



I was cleaning my boots at Davenport Gap when Theresa and John arrived; about 15 min. later BZ and Bob arrived in my SUV. We then proceeded on our long return trip home, dropping off my passengers in reverse order. After stopping for a take-out supper at Buddy's Barbecue, I arrived home ~18::15. The hike was only 10.8 mi. but the drive was 149.5 mi.; nevertheless, although this was not the most efficient use of time and resources, it enabled Theresa and John to complete 7.3 mi. of their quest to complete requirements for membership in The 900 Miler Association. It also enabled me to comolete the same number of miles in my quest to complete the 900 miles after reaching age 75.