This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Post 900 Hike #110: Newton Bald--5.4 + 0.7, Mingus Creek--5.7

This is a hike that I elected to do after determining that my first choice (a longer one) would be more apt to upset the problem that I have been having with my feet. This is a hike that John Hutsenpiller and Judy Gross needed for their 900; I needed it for my Geezer 900. Dick Ledyard also did this hike; the latter finished his 900 last year and I believe that about every hike taken since has only been taken to help others achieve their 900. Although I also endeavored to help others achieve this goal, my efforts pale when compared with those of Dick.

John picked me up at Lakeside Market ~07:10; we arrived at SVC ~one hour later. Dick drove his vehicle too to facilitate logistics; Nan NLN met us at SVC; although she was not hiking with us, Dick helped with her logistics too. Dick left his vehicle at Mingus Creek Trailhead and dropped Nan off there; Judy, coming in from Ashville, met us there and we proceeded in two vehicles to the Newton Bald Trailhead by Smokemont; the four of us then proceeded up Newton Bald Trail (~2800' of gain). I took it relatively easy at first and stopped to nurse one foot; ~4 mi. up I decided to give it a go and got my HR up to 151 prior to reaching Mingus Creek junction. We then proceeded to Thomas Divide Trail, met Nan, and then all five us returned to Campsite 52 for lunch. It was a quick lunch for it started to rain quite heavily and we donned rain gear and proceeded on our quest. We did not try to break any records; the trail was relatively nice but had shades of Cold Spring Gap in a few parts (i.e., nothing but rocks to step on). The picture is one that Dick took; from L-R it is John, me, and Judy. (I did not take any pictures because I had a dead camera battery; because I did not bring a pen, I did not record times either.)



Dick and I dropped Judy and John off at the S-end of Tow String trail; we then proceeded to the Bradley Fork Trail in Smokemont Campground (Tow String feeds into it) and waited for John and Judy. (I originally considered doing this trail too but I thought I'd be pressing my luck with my bunion and blister problems.)

When our cohorts arrived Dick took us to Judy's and John's vehicles on U.S. 441; John had some refreshing sodas or tea for us. Then Judy proceeded South on her way back to Ashville; Dick in his vehicle and John and I in his then proceeded North on U.S. 441. John dropped me off at my vehicle ~17:30. In essence it was a good day; both Judy and John got some good mileage towards their 900. I was pleased that my feet did not give me too much of a problem (used my old broken-in boots again); moreover, I got some good miles for my Geezer Map.

Pedometer Trivia (will complete after I download):
Steps:
Aerobic steps: 22,453
Miles:
kcal burned:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy facebook likes
get facebook likes

http://www.socialenterpriselive.com/about-us http://www.provokator.org/polls/you-take-public-bus-30min-free-seats-spiked-hair-hiphopper-granny-roma-girl-bus-driver-where-d
buy facebook likes facebook likes get facebook likes
hi there. my dell inspiron 1520 (vista) must have contracted some virus and it DOES NOT boot up. at all. I scoured my room at home and school to locate the recovery disk and have found nothing. now I've been reading everything from "the inspiron 1520 doesn't come with recovery disks" to "it does, and if you do not have them try this link http://support.euro.dell.com/support/top… THAT SITE'S ADVICE DOES NOT WORK because after I press F8, and enter on repair your computer, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. is there any way to fix my computer? (NOTE ASIDE FROM DIRECTING ME TO THE WEBSITE ABOVE) I don't even care about losing files as there is nothing on my laptop I have not backed up already. my computer is still also under warranty, and I've heard that if it wouldn't boot up with the recovery disk they would replace it. but again... I do not have the recovery disk. thanks for any help!

buy facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]facebook likes [/url] get facebook likes

8/30/2011 12:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home