This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Post 900 Hike #103: Anthony Creek--1.6, Russell Field--3.5, AT--2.9 +~1.5

Our hike's terminus was Rocky Top; we then returned (AT ~4.4, Bote Mtn--1.7, Anthony Creek 1.9 & 1.6. (Unfortunately I forgot my camera.)

Just prior to our departure at Food Lion, Ellie Doughty asked each of us to carry two tangerines that she would purchase to give to "through Hikers" on the AT; Ellie (who completed the AT as a Section Hiker) knew how well received these tangerines would be.

Cecil Rowe and I departed Food Lion ~08:10. At the Townsend Y we went with Ellie, Rita Haynes, and BZ Lane to Cades Cove. We started on Anthony Creek ~09:00 and were on Russell Field Trail ~09:30. We arrived at Russell Field shelter on the AT at ~11:30; here we gave out 6 tangerines to through hikers; each immediately devoured one (bear in mind that these hikers had been on the trail for more than one week--this was their first fresh food in some time). We ate our lunch there and were on the AT at 12:00. At ~12:50 we had finished our first section of the AT and we decided to hike the ~1 mi. section to Rocky Top (~500 ft gain in this mile). I went ahead here but only got my HR up to 145 bpm; I passed the brother sister couple from Mass. with whom we spoke at the shelter. By the time that all five of my group arrived, 6-through hikers were also there; with Ellie's permission I gave my last tangerine to the brother-sister couple. As we talked with these two plus four other through-AT hikers, I believe it was BZ who pointed out Shuckstack Tower (visibility was great); these through hikers visited it after ~3 mi. in the GSMNP; it really gave a great perspective of their last ~13 mi. of their ~2200 mile trip. While at Rocky Top I received a few insect bites and had a bit of swelling; fortunately I had some Benedryl with me.

As per usual I took it easy on the downward trek from Rocky Top as well as our succeeding trails to our return to Ellie's car. When we arrived there I iced my knee; we arrived back at the Y and my SUV ~17:30.

It was a good hike of 16+ miles; moreover, I added 2.9 mi of the AT (+ ~1.5 mi. to Rocky Top) plus 1.7 mi. of Bote Mtn to my Geezer Map (i.e., trails/mileage that I have completedd subsequent to reaching age 75. My pedometer registered slightly over 16 mi. for today's hike. It was a lovely day and a very good hike; again I am sorry that I did not have my camera.

I arrived back in Mayville ~18:00 and stopped at Taco Bell and picked up a sinful supper.