This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Anthony Creek, Bote Mtn, Finley Cane, & Crib Gap (12.6 miles)



Hike 2/8/06 (Anthony Cr 3.5, Bote Mtn 3.7 + 1.2, Crib Gap 1.6)

We met at our usual spot (Food Lion). I said that I would drive and my passengers were Bob Hutchins, Bill Woodrick, Liz Etynre, and Ann Phillips.

Met other hikers at trail head in Cades Cove horse camp; three different trail options had been presented with all starting on Anthony Creek. I had done this 3.5 mi. Anthony Creek trail previously; it presents ~1,800 feet of climb to Bote Mtn Trail. (Pic includes Bill Broome and Bill Woodrick; Bob Hutchins is there too (my first hike in the GSMNP was with these vets).

We then went down Bote Mtn trail to Finley Cane trail (3.7 mi.); the picture shown may be Thunderhead Mountain. After we had finished lunch Liz et al. arrived; Liz (she has written a book on strategies to complete all 900 miles of trails) told me that I should go down and back Bote Mtn an additional 0.6 mi. or I would have to do it at a more difficult time. Dale Teague joined me for this 1.2 mi. trip.

When we got back most were on their way down Finley Cane (2.8 mi.). When Liz, Ann and I reached Crib Gap Trail (now there was a contingent ahead and behind us), I decided to put it in a higher gear to catch the front runners (Bob Hutchins, Bill Woodrick, Bill Broome and I believe Manfred Grote); I did close to the end of this 1.6 mi. trail. (At my car I tried out my new “Ice Up” kit; I will now be able to ice my knee after hiking as I do after running.) Liz has planned the 2/15 hike with my trail needs in mind; she, as well as many of the other hikers, are really helping this old neophyte (there was one other hiker today older than me—initials BB).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home