This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

AT Fontana to Lost Cove--3.7n, AT Lost Cove to Doe Knob--3.1n, AT to Russell Field--6.4n, Russell Field to Cades Cove--5.1pd. (18.3 mi total)



Met at Food Lion at 7:00, I rode with John K., Janetta rode with Ellie, & Joel rode with Cecil. At Foothills Parkway we met BZ, Bob B., & Dennis McAdams. John, Bob, BZ, Dennis, and I took Cecil’s car to Fontana; Ellie, Janetta, Joel and Cecil proceeded in BZ’s car to the Anthony Creek trail head in Cades Cove. The latter group would proceed from North to South; we would be on the same trails but would proceed from South to North.

Our group had the long drive and got started about 9:30. I led off and did the first 3.7 miles in 1 hr 26 min.; because this was ~2,000 ft climb, I was satisfied with my time and got a good workout. It was on this section that the low clouds (some call it the smoke) was taken. The next 3.1 mi. section took 1 hr 7 min.; there we broke for lunch and 2nd picture was taken. (On the trail shortly after lunch we met our South-bound group and vehicle keys were exchanged.) The 3.3 mi. section to Russell Field took 1 hr 13 min. The last 5.1 mi. section took 1 hr. 57 min.; we arrived at Cades Cove ~5:30 p.m. Awaiting us there was BZ's vehicle; he took us to the Y and John and I got in his car and Bob got in his. BZ dropped Dennis off in Sugarlands. After John dropped me off at Food Lion, Cecil arrived with Joel, Janetta, and Ellie; their hike went fine too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home