This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gregory Ridge (5.0 pd) & Gregory Bald (2.0 to AT n) in & out (14 mi.)




Picked up Jim Harb at his home at 7:15; at the Townsend Y we met Dennis McAdams, Janetta Baker, and Bob Bolinger at ~8:00. We took two cars via the Cades Cove Loop and Forge Creek Rd to get to the Gregory Ridge Trail head. Bob and Janetta planned to hike Gregory Ridge (5 mi.) and then Gregory Bald (2 mi.) to Doe Knob in and out. Although I had completed Gregory Bald, I had committed to return via it with Jim and/or Dennis (5.3 mi.) to Parson Branch Rd., and then walk ~4 mi back to my vehicle at the end of Forge Creek Rd.

The Cades Cove traffic slowed us down considerably on our way to Forge Creek Rd.; tourists were stopping for every deer they saw. Thus we did not get started on Gregory Ridge trailhead until ~9:30. It took ~3 hours to comple it and the 2 mile section to the AT (i.e., Doe Knob--these 2 miles were my only new ones on this hike). After we had retraced our steps back to the Gregory Ridge trailhead, Dennis and Jim decided to forego Gregory Bald trail and return via the way we came on Gregory Ridge. They then went on and I waited to advise Bob and Janetta that all 5 of us were doing the same thing; I then attacked the trail for I typically endeavor to get back to our cars so that I can ice my knee and not keep the others waiting. When everyone was back, I shot the picture of my fellow hikers under Bob’s tailgate.

On the trip back we encountered a coyote on Forge Creek Rd (see pic) and a number of turkey blocking the road. In addition to many tourists on the Cades Cove Loop, from my driver’s seat I was able to take the picture of a buck. By the time we dropped Dennis off at the Townsend Y it started to rain and it rained on Jim's and my trip back to Louisville.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home