This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Middle Prong--4.1pd, Greenbrier Ridge--4.2n, AT Derrick Knob to Buckeye Gap--2.4n, Miry Ridge--2.5n, 2.5pd, Jakes Creek--2.9pd (18.6 mi. total)


Had planned to do Noland Divide and first section of Noland Creek in & out; however, those I queried at Judy’s 900 Mile dinner last evening discouraged me from doing this (i.e., very tough bugger at this time of year). I called my hiking partner Dennis and he already had the above hike in mind because closure of the Clingmans Dome Road precluded following our original plan.

Met Dennis at Elkmont at 7:00 a.m.; we left his car there and proceeded in mine to Tremont to begin our hike. Greenbrier Ridge had a bit of “up” and there was up to one inch of snow on the trail; however, we were very warm and had to shed some apparel. We did have one stream crossing that we had overlooked. Even if we had had our water shoes we may have not used them; I was wearing my old boot with a tear in the Goretex that the stream managed to find. We met our first two backpackers coming down; they were bundled up but were not using sticks (hence limited circulation to hands and arms).

Our short section of the AT had unique snow formations on the trees; that is Dennis in the picture. We finished the AT section and had lunch; it was in the low 20’s by then so I added a shirt and Dennis added a light jacket. Our fingers got a little cold.

Miry Ridge was a fairly easy trail; on it and Jakes Creek trail we met an additional 12 backpackers.

We arrived at Dennis’s car ~3:35; we really legged the last section for Dennis had an appointment in Morristown. He hustled me back to my vehicle in Tremont and then I made a leisurely trip back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home