This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Abrams Falls 4.2pd, Little Bottoms 2.3pd, Cane Creek 0.9pd, Rabbit Creek 7.8pd

None of today’s 15.6 miles were new; however, for Dennis McAdams 13.1 miles were new. Dennis has really helped me in the past; today I did a little payback.

I dropped Winston off at Cricket Lane Kennel at its 8:30 opening. I then went to the “Y” to meet Dennis; we left ~9:00 and got started on Abrams Creek Trail at 9:40. Not a soul was seen on this trail; however, when we got to Little Bottoms we met a family of three. When we got to Abrams Creek Campground we met a husband and wife and their daughter; one of the former camped in this area prior to an official campground being designated at this point. We then met a family of three.

We proceeded to Rabbit Creek trail head close to the Abrams Falls Ranger Station. We did not see a sign for the latter but I recognized the trail. I had done the Northern part of Rabbit Creek when I did Hannah Mtn with Lowell Reid; I had done the Southern leg on a solo that included Cooper Rd, Hatcher and Hannah Mtns (and the crossing of Abrams Creek) and then Rabbit Creek South. I had told Dennis it was mainly downhill; that was a mistake. Also, I had only counted on the stream crossing by the Abrams Creek parking area; we had one prior to that that also required water shoes. (Lowell Reid and TJ Solnas also had two crossings last winter; last spring I had only one crossing in which I had to use water shoes.)

When we finished and arrived at the Abrams Creek parking lot, it was ~4:30; it took us ~60 min. to reach my vehicle at the “Y”. It was the usual; many tourists had never seen a deer in the wild previously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home