This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Noland Divide 3.7pd, Noland Creek 5.1n, & return to start 8.8pd (17.6 mi. total)


Picked up Dennis McAdams at SVC at 7:00. We started on the 3.7 mi. Noland Divide section at 7:45 and finished it at 9:05; this is a trail that we both had previously done. We then began on Noland Creek trail; we both needed this middle section which is 5.1 miles. (The picture is of Dennis with Noland Creek in the background. When we came to our 1st water crossing we changed to our water shoes; I left mine on for the 2nd which was only ~50 yards from the 1st. The 3rd and last water crossing was ~0.75 miles later. On the calves the water was quite cold; the remaining water crossings on this trail had log bridges. We reached Campsite 64 at 11:30; we ate a leisurely lunch at this point (junction of several trails); there were ~6 picnic tables in this area which is most unique for a campsite.

At about noon we began to retrace our steps on the two trails just completed. When we reached the first non-bridge water crossing, we both put on our water shoes and kept them on for the remaining two. Although my feet took the water well relative to temperature, I could really feel it on my calves. I had taken off my knee brace; however, water seldom went above my knees. I had carried a second pair of socks to wear in my water shoes; this made them more comfortable. It took us 2 hr. 15 min. to complete this 5.1 mile section.

We immediately began the final leg of our hike on the 3.7 mi. section of Noland Divide back to by vehicle. Shortly after we started I decided to go a little faster so I could ice my knee; I also wanted to get an aerobic workout. I completed this section in 1 hr 23 mn; that was 3 mn slower than going down the same trail. Although I would have liked to beaten my going down time, I guess I should be satisfied for at that point I had hiked 14.5 miles.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home