This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Abrams Falls 4.2pd, Hatcher Mtn 2.6pd, Cooper Rd 5.5 section pd, Wet Bottoms 1.0pd

Today’s hike were trails that Dennis McAdams needed (I had previously done them all); next week the two of us will hit a trail (or trails) that I need in Cataloochee (trails that he has completed).

I met Dennis at the Townsend “Y” at 8:30; at 9:20 we had our boots on and left the Abrams Falls parking lot. We completed this 4.2 mi. trail in 1 hr 20 min. We then completed the 2.6 mi. Hatcher Rd trail in 1 hr; at this point we had lunch. The 5.5 mi. section of Cooper Rd took us 1 hr. 48 min. At this point Dennis wondered if I wanted to walk back to the car via the Cades Cove Loop; I declined because I wanted to redo the Wet Bottoms trail (the latter 1.0 mile trail really gave me a problem because of its indistinctiveness--a factor that I found that many of our pros had previously deduced). (Another reason that I wanted to redo Wet Bottoms is to help others; I think that I did 1.5-2 miles in completing this 1.0 mi. trail for I got off on a few manways.)

Because I had forewarned Dennis, he took this challenge seriously by making a Xerox copy of the trail description from the Brown Book. We also went from N to S (toward the Abrams Falls parking lot); I had previously done it from S to N. Although we still encountered the muddy trail sections that horses had trod, we really did not get our boots that muddy. Although there is a major water crossing toward the trail’s end relatively close to the parking lot, we chose to follow the option presented in the Brown Book about following the creek down ~0.25 mi. (I think it was longer) and then taking the bridge that we has crossed earlier in the a.m. to get back to the parking lot. We finished ~2:20. (Although I would still have some trepidation in redoing this trail in the direction that I had done alone last summer, I would have no problem in leading others in the direction that we did today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home