This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Lower Mount Cammerer 7.4n, AT (Lower Mt. Cam. to Low Gap) 4.4n, Mt Cam. 0.6n, 0.6pd, Low Gap 2.5pd (15.5+ miniscule amts getting to/from trails)







Met Bob Bolinger and BZ Lane at the Cosby Campground at ~8:35. We finished the 7.4 mi. of LMC (that's Bob & BZ on this trail) in 3 hr.; it is a beautiful and relatively easy trail and for the most part an easy gain to altitude. We ate lunch at its junction with the AT. Because neither Bob nor BZ needed to do Mt. Cam., I ate quickly and then attacked the section of the AT to the Mt. Cam. Trailhead because I did not want to keep them waiting too long. (At lunch I also put on my new "Stablicers" from LL Bean.) This section of the hike was not so terribly easy since in its 2.3 mi. the altitude gain was slightly over 1500’; I made it in one hour (left a note in the snow for BZ & Bob that I arrived at 1:00 so that they would know ~how long before I got back to the AT). The 0.6 trek to Mt. Cammerer took me 15 min. (see pics); after walking around the observation deck and taking a few pictures I arrived at the AT at 1:45. (In this downward trek I met a couple of men who left the Cosby Campground about the same time that we did but were doing the loop CC. Bob, BZ and I were concerned that they might be finishing in the dark.)
We finished the remainder section of the AT, then Low Gap (where I took off my Stabilicers, plus a 0.5 mi. section, and then about the same distance to get back to our vehicles. We arrived there at 3:40.

This was a very good day; 11.8 mi. new and only ~3 previously done. To celebrate I stopped at Carvers Apple Orchard to have dinner but the restaurant was closed. I did buy a few things plus coffee and their specialty (a piece of fried apple pie).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home