This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Post 900 Hike #15




This is a hike that both Bob Bolinger and Janetta Baker needed for their 900 mile quest. Also making the hike were Diane (she had previously done this hike) and Scott (Bob’s friend from Omaha—he also went on one hike with us last year).

I was to meet Diane and Janetta at Central Station at 7:45 (neither could meet earlier--that puts more of the hike into the heat of the day than I prefer). Shortly before 8:00 we left in Diane's Mustang convertible. We proceeded down U.S. 129 (also called the Dragon) and met Bob and Scott at the junction of Foothills Parkway with U.S. 129. I then rode with Bob and Scott rode with Janetta and Diane. We arrived at the Twentymile Ranger Station ~9:00. Scott and I led initially; we finished a 0.5 mi. section of the Twentymile Trail and a 1.1 mile section of Wolf Ridge at 9:48. At 9:53 we commenced on the 2.9 mi. Twentymile Loop Trail and finished it at 11:05, with one major stop. Scott and I were ahead a bit when we saw a mother bear and two cubs 50-70 yards off the trail. We took pictures as the mother bear traversed across a log followed by her two cubs; while this was occurring the others in our group approached and we signaled them to be quiet. (My bear pictures are not good; I think that the dark spots are bear.) Near the end of this trail we came to the one "un-bridged" water crossing; I had told everyone to bring water shoes because when I did this trail last year they were needed. However, it has been so dry in the park that this stream was easy to rock hop.

At 11:05 we reached the junction of Long Hungry Ridge Trail. After getting a little ahead I waited and told the rest that I would wait for them at the Junction of Gregory Bald Trail (4.6 mi.); they planned to stop for lunch at a crest prior to that point but I wanted to reach an “exact” distance. I then put it in a little higher gear; this trail had a 2200 foot climb and I wanted to get a good aerobic workout. I got my heart rate up to 161 and reached Gregory Bald at 13:07. That was a good workout; although the Park temperature was only ~78 degrees, it was very humid and air quality was not good. I ate lunch and waited; fortunately the 3 backpackers that I passed stopped and we talked a bit. I gave two of them sheets of Bounce; it tends to keep bugs away from the face and one in particular was having a problem. When my cohorts arrived, Scott was leading, he is followed by Janetta, Diane, and then Bob; Bob typically likes to be last so he can ensure that everyone is going at a pace that they can sustain.

When my crew arrived we set out on the 1.2 mile section of Gregory Bald; it also has a bit of up but I stayed toward the back of our group of 5. I had taken my pastor on this trail back in June but we took Gregory Ridge Trail off Forge Creek Rd at the W-end of Cades Cove. The flaming azaleas were great then but there were none now. Shortly after the Bald itself we came to Wolf Ridge Trail; we would be on it for 6.3 miles and it is downhill (~3000' drop). I usually do not elect to go fast on declines and at this particular point I was 5th in our group of 5. Bob yelled back but I could not understand him; I soon realized what he was talking about when I got stung by yellow jackets on each hand. I took Benadryl and I also tried Bob’s remedy of placing chewing tobacco over the bites. Shortly thereafter Scott and I led. When I reached our cars at 17:00 the receiver (just like a watch) for my HR monitor was very tight; I then noted that the swelling for that thumb bite was quite pronounced at my wrist. Perhaps I should have chewed the tobacco; I just used water from my Camel Pack. I alternately iced my knee and my bites. (Ironically I tried to pick up a new epinephrine kit at CVS; however, the call-in prescription arrived after I did. If I would have approached anaphylactic shock, I would have used my old one that expired in January.)


When Bob and the rest got back I had an ice tea; that really hit the spot. Did not reach home until it neared 19:00. Although the Park is slightly cooler than the middle 90’s temperatures that we are having in town, when one is chugging and the air quality is not too good, hikes such as the one that we did today can be draining. After a shower I tried another remedy for yellow jacket bites that I had received via the internet. I taped a penny on the site of each bite. I do not know if it was the penny or the Benadryl, but swelling was down in the A.M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home