This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Post 900 Hike #35 Rich Mountain & Indian Gap Grave Trails

Today’s hike was short because it had to be scheduled around our hiking groups’ annual Chili Luncheon. In the past this has been held at Debbie and Richard Way’s home; today it was held in The Barn (a cantilever structure that Richard assembled from old and new parts); it serves as an event center in Townsend. The group hike was an in-and-out on Chestnut Top; I chose to do a hike needed by Bob Bolinger (for his 900) and Cecil Rowe (for his Geezer [post-age 65] 900); this was an in-and-out on Rich Mtn (2.3) and the Eastern section of Indian Grave Gap Trail (1.8) for a hike totaling 8.2 mi.

Cecil picked me up at 7:30 at the Market (junction of U.S. 129 & Topside Rd). We then proceeded to the Back Porch Restaurant in Townsend. Bob Bolinger and BZ Lane were already there; Janetta Baker and Amy Howe arrived shortly. Everyone boarded Cecil’s van and we proceeded on Rich Mountain Rd. to the Park.

At 8:35 we began our 2.3 mi. section of Rich Mtn Trail. Near the end of the trail I made a quick sojourn to Campsite 5. Then as I got back on the trail and approached the trail sign for Indian Grave Gap Trail at 09:25, somewhat to my surprise a doe was standing by it ~60 ft ahead of me; she watched me as I proceeded slowly (did not take my camera because it was such a short hike—bad decision). Then a somewhat larger Buck charged past her on her far side; she accompanied this truly muscular specimen up a ridge. BZ was also impressed with the size of the latter. I had a good workout for this trail presented ~1,000 ft. gain and I had covered it in 52 min. Although not sure when I started, by 10:11 I had covered the 1.8 mi. section of Indian Grave Gap Trail (this trail presented both ups and downs). On the return Indian Gap took me 34 min. (again I went for a cardio). In 55 min. several of us had completed the 2.3 mi. of Rich Mtn Trail. When everyone was back we proceeded to The Barn; ~100 were in attendance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home