This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Post 900 Hike #68: Lakeshore & Hazel Creek

Today’s hikes required an extreme amount of planning; Cecil Rowe and Jane Calfee did a most excellent job in setting up the logistical requirements. Three different hikes were planned that ended at Campsite 86 and the boat pick-up. Two of the three hikes started at Clingmans Dome; however, all hikes had to be completed by 17:30 since that was the latest that a boat pick-up could be made; thus a very early start was required. I had originally told Cecil that I could do any hike where needed or be a driver; Tuesday evening it appeared that I would be a hiker.

I arrived at Cecil’s home at 04:40. Already there were John Hutsenpiller and Bill Broome (a driver), Bill Woodrick (also a driver) arrived shortly. We reached Sugarlands Visitor Center in Cecil’s van ~05:40; already there were Scott Collins (who would also drive) and eight hikers. The three doing Hazel Creek started earlier; those doing Charlie Woodward’s, although they would end at Campsite 86, were taken by Bob Bolinger to start at a different point. Thus we had ~24 individuals who would get to Campsite 86 for the boat pick-up. It was then that I realized that I would be needed as a driver.

Our trip to Clingmans Dome took ~60 min. since it was dark and virtually no traffic for this 21 mile trip. At Clingmans Dome I found Frank March’s Highlander; it was the vehicle that I was to drive. Bill Broome, Bill Woodrick, and Scott Collins drove two vans and one sedan. Because these three drivers had not planned to do a long hike, our first stop was in Cherokee for breakfast; from there we drove to Fontana Dam and left three vehicles and went in Cecil’s to the parking area for the AT and Lakeshore trailheads (within 50 yards of each other).

At 09:20 we started our short hike (9.6 on Lakeshore & ~1.8 on Hazel Creek) with Scott in the lead; this was only his second hike since having total knee replacement surgery a few months ago. Unfortunately on the first downward stretch he had too much discomfort; thus he returned to the van and after finding some reading material, went to Fontana Marina. On an up section of Lakeshore Trail Bill B. encouraged me to get the aerobic workout that he knew that I usually try to get on each hike; although I pushed a little, doubt if my HR ever reached 140 (forgot my monitor). We ate lunch at Campsite 88 from 11:30-12:30; there was absolutely no hurry. We arrived at the boat pick-up point (~0.5 miles past Campsite 86—low water precluded boat getting to the campsite) at 14:30; thus we were there 3-hours prior to the scheduled boat pick-up. At this point I iced my knee.

A backpacker from Ohio arrived ~15:00; he was scheduled for a small boat pick-up at 15:30. When the latter arrived its driver wanted two of us to go back with him since his bigger boat might be too overloaded by our complete group for the 17:30 pick-up. I encouraged Bill B. and Bill W. to go, since someone had to stay and I had the complete list of hikers. At this point I soaked my feet in the nice cool waters; after drying them I thought that I would only have ~90 min. to wait. Carl Muse, the first arrival, came between 16:00 and 16:30; most of the remaining arrived by 17:00. However, it was ~17:40 that the last of our hikers arrived; we then embarked in the boat. I then collected $15. from each to pay for the boat trip.

Not sure when we arrived at Fontana Marina. Two of Cecil’s passengers went back to SVC in Frank’s Highlander; that enabled us to take the Dragon (U.S. 129) back to our cars at Cecil’s home. Believe I arrived home ~20:00; 15.5 hours since I had left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home