This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Post 900 Hike #69: Forney Ridge in & out (11.2 mi.)



Today’s hike (Forney Ridge in and out, 11.2 mi.) was one scheduled by Charlie Woodward; John Hutsenpiller also needed it. John picked me up at 07:30 at Lakeside Market. When we reached Food Lion, we found that Ellie Doughty, Janetta Baker, and Amy Howe also wished to do this hike. I rode with Charlie; the rest road with Janetta. At SVC, Ellie, BZ Lane & I met to discuss hike scheduling for the summer. Because there were no further takers for our particular hike at SVC, we proceeded to Clingmans Dome.

At 09:58 we began on Forney Ridge; at 10:26 we had covered 1.1 mi. and reached the Forney Creek trailhead (both Charlie & John need the latter—we will probably do it in the next few weeks). Because we started at the Park's highest point (i.e., Clingmans Dome), going in on Forney Ridge is basically down (i.e., ~2400 ft decline). I hiked in either or 5th or 6th position, for on downward treks I typically take it easy. The first picture was taken at Andrews Bald; Charlie is in the lead followed closely by John; Ellie, Amy, and Janetta are next. The oak tree pictured is one of the largest trees that I have ever seen in the GSMNP; Janetta, Ellie, and John are in this picture. At 12:25 we had traversed Forney Ridge’s 5.6 mi.; this is about 2.3 mph pace.

I had decided that on the return trip to Clingmans Dome that I would endeavor to get an aerobic workout. In the first hour on the return by my pedometer I had covered 2.72 mi. and got my HR up to 150 bpm (in Charlie’s SUV on the way up to the Dome my lowest noted HR was 55), in the second hour I had covered 2.32 mi. leaving ~0.5 mi. (latter took 20 min).

At the top I iced my knee and talked to tourists while I waited for my cohorts. On the way down we picked up an AT section through hiker from New Hampshire; although he had been hiking 2-4 days, he had developed a rash that severely limited his progress and made continuation of his hike implausible. We took him to the SVC where he could make a land-line telephone call; we also told him where to stand to get a ride into Gatlinburg.

Charlie got us to the Food Lion parking lot in ~1 hr.; John then dropped me off at my vehicle at ~17:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home