This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Post 900 Hike #73: Kanati Fork, Noland Divide, Newton Bald

Since Ellie and BZ were unavailable to schedule hikes for today, it became my responsibility. (Believe I’ll also be responsible for scheduling 5 hikes in July and perhaps all of the August with BZ on some.) Because the last two hikes have been long or required trips to the East side of the Park, I wanted to schedule relatively modest hikes that did not require extremely long driving distances. However, I was having difficulty coming up with something so I just said meet at Food Lion at 0800 and will try to figure out something. Then I received hikes that five different individuals wanted to do; moreover, three of the hikes were requested by individuals working to meet requirements for the 900 Mile Association. Although I posted all hikes, I elected to facilitate (1) Road Prong and Chimney Tops (9.1 mi., requested by Emma Penson) and (2) Kanati Fork, Thomas Ridge, and Newton Bald (~11.3 mi., requested by Debra Barton).

To facilitate #1 I told this group of four that I would pick them up at the Chimney Tops parking lot (where they were to finish) and take them to Indian Gap (where Road Prong starts). I chose to do Debra Barton’s hike in part because it was the longest and it also needed more takers (Andy Marquardt had committed to go with me for what would be only his 2nd hike; I had no idea who Debra was.)

I picked up Andy at the old Atlanta Bread Co. in Alcoa at 0745; we arrived at Food Lion at 0755. Debra saw me exit my vehicle and introduced herself; because there were just three of us, both she and I would drive and then do a car shuttle. Checked with Emma’s group of four and we were still on the same page. No additional hikers were at SVC. Andy went with Debra to a Smokemont parking area; I joined them after (1) picking up the Road Prong hikers at the Chimney Tops parking lot and (2) dropping them off at Indian Gap. We then went in my SUV to the Kanati Fork trailhead.

I encouraged Debra to lead because I had no clue on how fast she was comfortable hiking. I slowly adjusted my Leki poles to length at the trailhead; at 1007 I got my start ~3 min. behind them. Because we had 2100 ft. of climb in this trail’s 2.9 miles, I thought that I would catch Debra and Andy momentarily. I did not for Debra set a very good pace; she is one strong hiker. I learned that she’ll complete the 900 on Friday; I was surprised that we had never really met. It took us 78 min. to complete this relatively difficult 2.9 mi.; it was at that point that the picture was taken.

Thomas Divide had a little up and a little down; it's a nice trail. When we reached Campsite 52 on Newton Bald we were faked out re which path was the trail; if you're going down as we were, just stay to the right of the lines used to keep food out of bear reach. I came up Newton Bald a few years ago alone; the trail continuation in that direction is clear. Newton Bald has an abundance of switchbacks and ~2,800 ft. of down from the Campsite in its last 4.6 mi. I neglected to record when we finished Newton Bald; perhaps one of my cohorts will let me know. (Omron data: 11.87 mi., 22,733/26,174 steps were aerobic; 949 kcal & 65.3 grams of fat burned.)

Prologue: On Andy’s first hike two weeks ago he was not really tested for it was basically a downhill hike, and because we would have to wait for the bus, we took it easy. (I would much rather speed going up and take downs slowly.) To find that Andy is a very strong hiker was no surprise. It also appears that his X-C skiing experience has translated well to good stick use; I think that was a factor in helping me too (with some it just looks like the sticks are along for the ride). Both Andy and I started hiking with a running background, and we still run; I think that running contributes to hiking ability but not the reverse. I did not ask Debra if she was a runner but she showed me that she is an exceptionally competent hiker. The three of us alternated leading throughout the hike; I doubt that I have ever been in a group of three or more in which everyone could go at anyone’s speed.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home