This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Post 900 Hike #74: A Rocky Mountain High

After a visit to my mother-in-law in Nebraska, my wife and I proceeded to Breckenridge CO where she, as a participant with Cabela's Trophy Properties, attended a conference at Beaver Run Ski Resort. Breckenridge (~3,000 residents but in winter ~36,000--the largest ski-resort area in U.S.) has a quaint downtown; although somewhat like Gatlinburg, most shops are old and history plays a big role.



In our second day my original intent was to hike a 7.8 mi. trail, and then work my way to the upper portion of a ski slope and go to its top. However, after going 2-3 miles on Burrow Trail I realized that (1) the new memory card for my camera was not functioning leaving room for only taking ~6 pics and (2) the battery in my Omron pedometer was dead. Thus I chose to retrace my steps and drive into town to a camera shop; I assumed that they could get the memory card that I had purchased there to function (I had forgotten to bring my camera manual).

When I got back to Beaver Run ski resort I decided on a Plan B, namely to just follow this resort’s ski lift (Ski Mountain #9) to its terminus, and then return. (On the way up I realized that another ski lift went under #9 and I followed it; if I were not careful on the way down I could get lost and be at a different ski resort.) Until today taking the AT up Thunderhead going West was the steepest trail that I had hiked; after today ranked a distant second. (Keep in mind that this type of a trek is not a ski run nor is it a hiking trail; it is merely a “path” for a ski lift up a mountain.) I passed a couple areas that still had snow in the shade, yet I was not uncomfortable in my short sleeves. (I burned a few calories.)









The second picture (tips up) denotes the end point of the lift; adjacent to it was an altitude sign. I went a little beyond this point because a taller ridge was there. Although I contemplated hiking that ridge, I did like the idea that I would at first have to go down prior to going up. I guess that being alone was also a factor so I just took its picture.



I took the last picture shortly after starting down. In the valley is Breckenridge with mountains on its far side too. Because of the steepness, going down was not such great fun; my zig-zags going down were longer than those going up. When I came to a road I started taking it for I assumed that it would have a switch-back shortly; however, I walked back when I realized that although it would take me to Breckenridge, I might have no idea where I was. I also came across some mountain bikers; however, I decided that I should just endeavor to return the same way that got me there.