This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Long Bunk 3.6n, Little Cataloochee 4.1n, 4.1pd, 1.0n





At 7:00 I picked up John Kennerly at Tyson Park; we proceeded on I 40 East to Exit 451. We entered NC and proceeded several miles on a dirt road to Mt. Sterling Gap; BZ Lane and Bob Bolinger were waiting for us. We then took BZ’s Jeep and my CRV 3+ miles to the terminus of Little Cataloochee Trail; at this point Bob and BZ got in my vehicle and we went back to Mt. Sterling Gap.

At 9:15 we embarked on a smidgeon of Mt. Sterling trail. At 9:30 we began on Long Bunk Trail. After passing the relatively large Hannah Cemetary (see pic), at 10:54 we completed this 3.6 mi. trail. We then proceeded SW on Little Cataloochee (this section was 4.1 miles); after taking a 20 min. lunch break we arrived at its terminus at 1:00 (see pic of BZ, Bob, & John). We then retraced our steps on this 4.1 mi. segment; the pictures are of Dan Cook's cabin and Bob in the foreground of Little Catalooche Church (this pic as we were going North turned out better than the one that I took as we went South on this trail). We then did the last 1.0 mi. section which took us to BZ’s Jeep.

This was really a good day--8.7 new miles on my 900 mile quest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home