This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Alum Cave 5.0pd, Bullhead ~0.2pd, Bullhead 6.4pd, Old Sugarlands 0.4pd

Bob Bolinger was the only one able to do the Cataloochee Trails that we aborted Wed. Because I thought just the two of us in that remote area was contraindicated, I suggested that we work on trails that he needed. He suggested (1) Alum Cave to Mt. LeConte (one that both of us had done previously but one that he might take some Boy Scouts on and hence wanted to note conditions) and (2) Bullhead--one that he had not done but one that I had done ~1-yr. ago.

I met Bob at Sugarlands Visitor Center at ~8:20. (I got there a little early to make use of a 50% discount I had because of a donation to the Great Smoky Mountains Association; three books were the result.) We both drove to the Cherokee Orchard Rd with the intent of leaving his vehicle in the parking lot for the Rainbow Falls Trail; unfortunately we had to leave his vehicle ~1 mi. from this because of ice on the road. We then proceeded in my vehicle to the Alum Cave trail head on U.S. 441.

We started ~9:30; our fingers were cold for the first hour; the temperature was ~20 degrees. At ~11:00 I put on my Stabilicers and Bob put on his facsimile of same (after noting how ice walking was somewhat easier for me, he said that he was going to order the ones that I wore from LL Bean). There was a lot of ice on this trail. (I did not have my camera; Bob hopefully will have some great pictures which will be added later.) Those who have previously done this trail realize that there are a number of "cable holds" where the trail is somewhat perilous. Unfortunately the cables appear to be placed more for summer hikers; in the shade where the ice was quite evident, there were no cables. At this time of year Stabilicers (or some facsimile) are a must unless you are foolish enough to really like to take chances!

We arrived at LeConte ~12:00 and ate lunch; we proceeded down Bullhead ~12:30. There were a couple of icy sections but not nearly as bad as Alum Cave. We completed Bullhead and the 0.4 mi. section of Old Sugarlands and reached the parking area ~3:00. Since the road was closed when we left Bob's vehicle, we had to walk a little over a mile on the road that was now open to traffic.

It was a nice hike; although it was a nice conditioning hike for me, it was particularly a good one for Bob since he hiked 5.9 new miles of trails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home