This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Juney Whank Falls 0.7n, Indian Creek ~1pd, Stone Pile Gap 0.9n, Thomas Divide 2.1pd, Indian Creek Motor Trail 1.8n, Thomas Divide 2.1pd, Thomas Divide




Although I still have the two upper sections of Deep Creek to do (3.9 & 3.6) as well as a 1-mi. section close to its terminus; I will get these in one swoop (I’ll also be repeating a 4.3 mi. section of Deep Creek). Today was a bits and pieces day at Deep Creek; it was also a day that we spent more time in transit than we did on the trails. Nevertheless, it was a good day for I got 4.5 new miles (and put ~180 miles on my little SUV).

I picked up Cecil Rowe, Bill Woodrick, and Bob Hutchins at the Lakeside Market (~1.8 mi. from my home) at 7:30. Although Cecil is working on his second map, all in essence did the hike to help me on my quest. Instead of going my usual way on U.S. 321, we went via Sevierville and Pigeon Forge; Cecil and Bill thought it was a little quicker. Not sure what time we passed Sugarlands Visitor Center; it took close to 1.5 hrs to get to Newfound Gap. It was 30 degrees there with a considerable wind chill. At ~10:00 we were at Deep Creek and started on the trail to Juney Whank Falls (1st pic); we finished the new loop trail in ~15 min. The temperature now was in the 50's. We then did a section of indeterminate length of Indian Creek; at 11:07 we had finished Stone Pile Gap trail; although the latter had a 500’ climb in its short length, it was not difficult. At 12:05 we finished the section of Thomas Divide; it had a 1,000’ climb in its 2-mi. distance. After a 15 min. lunch break we completed the 1.8 mi. Indian Creek Motor Trail; it did not take us much longer to do the latter in reverse even though there was ~800’ climb. If you look closely at the second picture you’ll see a little streak of white near its center; Cecil and I believe that is snow from the parking area (or just below latter) at Clingmans Dome.

Bill and Bob did not do the motor trail and moved my car to the terminus of Thomas Divide; I did not realize it until today that I had not apparently done that section previously. It was fortunate to have trail vets with me. Bob drove my vehicle to Metcalf Bottoms as I iced my knee. I then drove and dropped my cohorts off at Lakeside Market; I arrived home ~4:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home