This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Monday, March 26, 2007

BP D-4: Lakeshore 76-74, 8.7n & 2.9pd, Noland Creek 1.0n & 1.0pd







After putting gel pads on my blisters, I followed Kirby’s advice and put duct tape around each forefoot (distal end of metatarsals). I then took off ahead of them (0850) on Lakeshore Trail because, after going through the tunnel, I was going to walk to the Noland Creek trailhead and then do an in-and-out on it.

Yesterday as well as today there were a lot of blow downs on the trail. Within the 1st mile I was enthralled by a cove of Lake Fontana and missed a curve; I then went up a fairly steep rise and returned to “my missed turn.” I placed an arrow for Kirby and Fran and then placed 3-log segments at the throat of the “wrong” trail. The trail is somewhat unique in that at times it follows a roadbed. By 12:43 I had completed the 8.7 mile section and arrived at Forney Creek (At this point I again treated water; although I had some, warm water just does not hit the spot.)

I was pumped up and made good time to Lakeview Drive. I did not remove my pack to get out a light for the tunnel as I had intended for that was too much bother; I hustled through the tunnel and arrived on the other side at 14:10 (by my pedometer the tunnel is 0.18 miles long). I then set out on Lakeview Drive to the Noland Creek Trail.

Started Noland Creek 1-miler at 14:34; there was one car parked in its lot. Although there is a little hill on the first section, it is kind of weird trail for at the bottom of that switchback there is sign indicating that there is still 1-mi. to go on this trail. Also, there is a road turning off of it, it was not marked but I did not take it for I knew that the end of the trail is where Noland Creek empties into Fontana so I obviously followed the road next to the creek. Eventually it was sort of like a beech; had not seen a sole so I left my backpack on a big rock and proceeded. Unfortunately my pedometer was attached to latter; I had wanted to present some evidence to back up my contention that the trail was more than 1-mi. Because the water is so low, the point where Noland Creek empties into Fontana is perhaps a bit further than it has been for some. (See pic) There were two couples on a rise about where I took this picture; I assumed that the car in the lot was theirs. After returning a fair distance, I saw Campsite 66.

At 15:33 I was back at the Noland Creek Parking Lot. I dozed a bit and was awakened by a child yelling; then 3 children and their mother came on foot from the Bryson City side of the parking lot. The woman was a little concerned about me; she asked if there were anything that I could do, offered me water, and then asked if she could call anyone for me. She called my wife (after she got nearer a cell tower) to tell her that it would be after dark that I would make it; that was extremely nice of her for my wife had expected me much earlier. My ride arrived about 6:00; although I did not worry as much this time as the preceding evening, I must admit I was concerned. We stopped in Bryson City and I got a Mountain Dew; it was so great to have something other warm water (or a warm electrolyte) to drink.

Epilogue/Tidbits: Despite the blisters and the length of time, this was a fantastic 4-days for me. The new trails that I completed were (1) Jenkins Ridge—8.9 mi., (2) Bone Valley—1.8 mi., (3) Lakeshore 86 to 74—21 miles, and (4) Noland Creek—1 mi. I had hiked once with Marti and Fran previously but never with Kirby. I am so thankful that they asked me to go with them; it might have taken me a month to get all that I did get in these 4 days. In my only previous backpacking (3 days in length), I experienced extreme shoulder discomfort. My mentor BZ Lane had stressed the importance of keeping the belt tight on my hips and I had no shoulder problem (at times I lifted and held my pack off my hips as I walked--possibly I lack padding there). The second day Kirby had shown me how to use some of the nuances of my pack; he really enabled me to use my pack much more efficiently. Since I started my new weekly fitness regimen, my weight has stayed below 160 pounds (that’s lighter than when I started college). When I weighed in on my Tanita prior to going to bed, I was below 150 and all I got was an error message for my fat percentage. Backpacking, at least for me, is one way to lose weight. My one-person tent weighs less than 3 lbs; that is great but there is a trade-off. To fit the tent I have a tapered sleeping bag and pad. With my size 12’s I cannot turn over easily in my bag; moreover, I would have to cut holes in my bag and my tent to use my normal sleeping postures. I finally deducted that this is why in backpacking I only sleep in spurts; prior to backpacking again, I must at least buy a new sleeping bag and possibly a new tent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Tomaso said...

very nice picture!!

go to visit my blog

http://derivatidellatte.blogspot.com/

3/27/2007 4:53 PM

 
Blogger ken said...

If you need gel pads for your feet, I recommend bungapads. just go to www.bungapads.com and get padded up. Great product, washable and reuseable and very popular in running world.

3/27/2007 10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home