This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Rough Fork 2.9n & 3.5n, Rough Fork 3.5pd & 2.9pd




Picked up Jim Harb at 7:15; we then proceeded on US 129 and I-40 and picked up Joel Morris at Cracker Barrel at 7:35. We then set out on I-40 again and arrived at the truck stop at Exit 440 and picked up BZ Lane at ~8:25. We then drove to Exit 20 in NC and proceeded on the backroads (outside & inside GSMNP) that include 5 m.p.h. switchbacks. What is somewhat unique is that you are on so-so gravel roads and eventually reach a concrete one but then finish up on gravel (and finally the road ends at the Rough Fork Trailhead).

We got started on Rough Fork Trail at 9:45 and completed the 2.9 segment (Caldwell Fork trail junction) at 10:53. At this point I led for I wanted to get a good aerobic workout; I covered the 3.5 mi. section that ended at Polls Gap in 73 min. The 6.4 miles for the two segments of Caldwell Fork were mostly up (2,000 ft plus); however, the climb was really modest. Although the sun was out there was a bit of wind at Polls Gap and I put on my vest; normally I would have retraced my steps to get a little shelter from the wind for lunch; however, the others had to reach Polls Gap too. I ate my lunch and debated on doing first aid for what I perceived to be a plantar wart at the base of my 5th metatarsal. (My running Buddy Craig Wrisberg and my wife Meredith had described it to me 3/5 & 3/6, respectively, for I could not see it; in running or hiking it felt somewhat analogous to a having a small pebble in my shoe.) However, I did not make the diagnosis until I was in the solitude of the solo part of our hike. Rather than take my boot off and put a new donut pad over it, I decided to just lump it. After the others had completed lunch I took the first picture at Polls Gap; from left to right we have Joel, BZ, and Jim. Again, this is a nice and relatively easy trail with the biggest climb near the middle.

At 12:41 we started retracing our steps; the trip back to my vehicle was obviously mostly downhill. In 71 min. we arrived at Caldwell Fork (3.5 mi.). In the last segment of our return trip (2.9 mi. in 62 min.) I took the picture of BZ and Joel at the Steve Woody place. This home began as a one-room cabin in the middle 1800's. Not sure when Mr. Woody acquired it but he continually enlarged it as his family grew (last enlargement was made ~1910) One story is that he was a widower and then married a widow with a family; for his time I think that he was a pretty good architect and builder. To the side of the home is a spring house. This house, as well as one closer to my vehicle, are painted white. (There is a story that the latter house was inhabited by the Wild Man of Cataloochee who was last purportedly seen by a ranger in the middle 1970's.)

This was really great day weather wise and hike wise; by completing this 6.4 segment of Rough Fork I have completed all of the Cataloochee-area trails (to do this one required more than 200 mi. of driving). I must thank my hiking mates but particularly BZ Lane. BZ is the only one of our group today who has completed all of his trails; he in essence scheduled this hike in his quest to help me complete all 900 miles of trails too. After I complete all trails, I hope that I can be as helpful to someone else as BZ and others have been to me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong-the Wild Man of Cataloochee lived on the park boundary.

4/16/2011 9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home