This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tow String 2.2n (getting to trail & on to car ~1.2)


For this hike my dear wife Meredith was a facilitator. First I drove SVC to talk with BZ Lane; BZ volunteers there on Saturdays and he is the one who has been so vital to my quest of completing all trails; we discussed my final hike of the 900 which is scheduled for April 4th. After that Meredith and I, and our Airedale Terrier Winston (when out of the car always on leash and never on a trail) proceeded to Smokemont. I got out of the car after we crossed the bridge at the entry to Smokemont and Meredith and Winston proceeded down US 441 to the Tow String road.

It was 10:30 when I crossed the road and turned left with the church on my right and proceeded down this trail that winds behind the campground. I reached a road and sort of fiddled a bit not exactly sure where I should be going; I then retraced my steps on Tow String as it veered left up a rise. I finally felt comfortable that I was on Tow String Trail. When I met a man and his daughter on horses, I felt most comfortable for they were the first ones that I had seen on the trail; the picture is one of the two that presented further verification.

I had told my wife (and dog) to meet me at the end of the trail; however, although Meredith entered the road to Tow String, she took the first right turn and actually went on the Indian Reservation. She returned to where the wrong turn was made and parked. This increased my hike a little more; my pedometer registered 3.4 miles for this 2.2 mile hike and it took me 1 hr. 20 min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home