This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Post 900 Hike #16


Met Bob Bolinger at 7:45 at the beginning of the Foothills Parkway in Walland. We proceeded in his jeep to the Abrams Creek Campground. Although I had been here previously, I was a little uncertain of the Rabbit Creek Trailhead for it is not marked. A “trail runner” pointed in the general direction; soon things looked familiar (i.e., creek, log stream crossing). Although I knew that we were on the trail, at this end there is not one trail sign. In 54 min. we had completed 2.7 mi. (mostly up) and the junction with Hannah Mountain Trail.

By 10:30 we completed 1.9 mi. of Hannah Mountain and reached Abrams Creek. The water was so low that I considered not using my water shoes; it was a far cry from what it was 18 months ago when I crossed it solo. At my original crossing I thought it was the toughest stream crossing that I had ever made; now it was simple (Bob did not even use water shoes). We arrived at Abrams Falls (~1.7 mi.) at 11:20 and ate lunch (that's Bob looking at the Falls). The ~6.3 miles that we had covered at this point were all new ones for Bob. Even though our return trip would be repeats, when more than 50% of the hike are new miles, it is a pretty good day.

We then retraced our steps on Abrams Falls Trail, then a short section of Hatcher Mountain Trail; at 13:33 we finished the 2.9 mi. of Little Bottoms. Next was 0.9 mi. of Cooper Road Trail. In the last part of the trail we walked through the Abrams Creek Campground. Although our hike was only ~12 miles, it was an extremely hot day again. Although the Park temperature was only in the 80’s, in town it was in the 90’s again. The only good omen, it doubtfully can be any hotter this summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home